Husqvarna or Stihl for homeowner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not had any trouble even with E10 fuel as long as I add Sta-bil to it. I have gone 9 months without using the fuel and it works just fine. Never had a carburetor rebuild in over 40 years. My main problem was the bar oil pump on my Stihl saws.
This seems to be incredibly area dependent.

Around here, even E0 left in a carb over the winter will require clearing the carb when you go to restart.

I run E0 with a double dose of Stabil in both generators, the pressure washer, and the riding mower. All have a fuel shutoff, all get the carbs run dry after every use because I have no idea when they'll be used again. Might be tomorrow, might be next year, and I don't want to have to try and keep track of it and come back to it later if it's been awhile.

I'll be trying another fuel stabilizer that was recommended here next time I rotate fuel. PRI-G, I think.

I'e had bad fuel from the gas station, E10, or ethanol free, both times cost me a lot in downtime
This may not always work, but bad gasoline actually smells bad. If you can smell the difference, don't use the bad stuff.

You can get them in any color you want but you gotta pay extra

Yeah, mines got a 4bt cummins, 2002 250xp, been exelent minus that one time s hydro hose blew a foot from my face, pointed directly at my face...
One thing about hydraulic fluid, it washes off with warm water and some soap. Nice thing is, it's also a skin softener. Great for rough hands too. I had a 3" hose let go on a scrap trailer I was loading one time and dumped about 50 gallons of hydraulic fluid in about 10 seconds and on me as well as the ground. First rain storm, it all vanished. me, I had to throw away all my clothes and I stunk for a while after. Stuff went straight up in the air about 50 feet too.

One thing about hydraulic fluid, it washes off with warm water and some soap. Nice thing is, it's also a skin softener. Great for rough hands too. I had a 3" hose let go on a scrap trailer I was loading one time and dumped about 50 gallons of hydraulic fluid in about 10 seconds and on me as well as the ground. First rain storm, it all vanished. me, I had to throw away all my clothes and I stunk for a while after. Stuff went straight up in the air about 50 feet too.
Hydraulic fluid is toxic and can be absorbed by the skin. I would avoid excessive contact with it.

This seems to be incredibly area dependent.

Around here, even E0 left in a carb over the winter will require clearing the carb when you go to restart.

I run E0 with a double dose of Stabil in both generators, the pressure washer, and the riding mower. All have a fuel shutoff, all get the carbs run dry after every use because I have no idea when they'll be used again. Might be tomorrow, might be next year, and I don't want to have to try and keep track of it and come back to it later if it's been awhile.

I'll be trying another fuel stabilizer that was recommended here next time I rotate fuel. PRI-G, I think.
I am in Ohio. Hot summers, cold winters. In the past, I did not drain my fuel between seasons. I have started doing it with my 500i, partially because folks on this forum scared me into it.

Honestly, I don't. However all the saws I use infrequently (and that is all of them, I keep the gas tanks full of canned fuel, right to the top and filled with good bar oil as well. Now my 2 shelf queens, the 075 and the 090 are completely dry (fuel and oil) and have been for a long time now. Wife tells me I should sell them but it's hard to part with old and reliable friends.

Back