Husqvarna Rancher 460 vs Echo CS-590 for homeowner

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swackerl

Reaction score
I am a homeowner with 4-5 acres with lots of tall pines, along with a few other varieties (sycamore, poplar, black walnut). I currently have a Husqvarna 435, but it feels too under-powered (bogs down) and the 16" bar isn't long enough to get through some larger trees which have fallen. I am looking for a 60cc class saw for cleaning up fallen trees 2-3 times per year.

I purchased a Husqvarna 460 rancher on amazon for ~$350 about a week ago (brief price drop!). It will hopefully ship in a week due to backorder. I am wondering whether I should stick with the 460, or whether I should resell the 460 for a profit and buy an Echo CS-590 instead. I've seen several posts which recommend the CS590 over the Rancher 460, plus the Echo has a 5-year warranty.

I do not plan to modify the saws. I plan to keep them stock and occasionally use them for jobs that my Kobalt 18" electric saw (80v) cannot handle. My main concerns with the saw are reliability, in terms of starting and staying running. Cutting power is secondary, since I figure anything in the 60cc class will be sufficient.

PS: For my use, I'd consider one of the 60-70cc chinese clones if they'd meet the reliability requirement. Can anyone recommend them? (Farmertec, X-Bull, etc)

Agreeing with computeruser. I currently own an Echo CS-590, and have previously owned multiple Husqvarna 455 and other CS-590/600P saws. I don't have any experience directly with the 460, but it should perform slightly better than a 455.
As a homeowner, I would be happy with either a CS-590 or a 455/460. I slightly prefer the CS-590 to the 455 saws I have had, but they are close. If I had to swap my CS-590 for a 455/460 it wouldn't be a big deal to me. In the situation you describe (waiting for delivery of the new 460), I would recommend to be content with the decision you've already made - Keep the 460 and enjoy using it. Good luck.

good advice
both are good basic saws
I have the 460 and find it a good reliable saw if not spectacular
I also have a Holzfforma G372, clone of the Husky 365, I believe, which is wearing a 24" bar. It is a very impressive cutting machine for the price - paid a little over $200 for it about 5 years ago if I recall correctly.

If you got a new Husky 460 for $350 you did very very well. I would keep that and be happy. They have a long track record as dependable saws.
Agreeing with computeruser. I currently own an Echo CS-590, and have previously owned multiple Husqvarna 455 and other CS-590/600P saws. I don't have any experience directly with the 460, but it should perform slightly better than a 455.
As a homeowner, I would be happy with either a CS-590 or a 455/460. I slightly prefer the CS-590 to the 455 saws I have had, but they are close. If I had to swap my CS-590 for a 455/460 it wouldn't be a big deal to me. In the situation you describe (waiting for delivery of the new 460), I would recommend to be content with the decision you've already made - Keep the 460 and enjoy using it. Good luck.

image.jpg

2.5 years onward, I'm sure the Op has figured this out by now.

For the occasional user, one of the best things they can do for reliability is to use premix fuel. If you're only going through a couple gallons per year, cost isn't a big deal, even at $25/gal.

Several trees service companies that I deal with have switched from the Stihl Farmboss series to the Echo CS-591, even though their 591's are out of warranty. The Husky 460 is about the same price as an Echo 591. The Stihl MS261 is way overpriced. I say flip a coin between the 460 and the 591. Read post #2 and #3.

I have an Echo CS-590, and have found it to be very reliable and durable, provided you use synthetic oil and the correct bar oil. With 4 years on mine so far, the only real issue has been the oil pump, which somehow disassembled itself during a difficult cut through a 30" white oak, while wearing a 27" bar and full chisel chain. In hindsight, I realize I should have used a skip chain with so long a bar for hardwood. Since that episode, the saw has performed brilliantly in woods of all kinds with the 20" bar it came with. While it seems to idle too lean at startup, once warmed up it pulls surprisingly hard for so small a machine IMHO. And FWIW, I inspected the piston and ring last month- the original oil retention marks are still visible on the piston and no streaking was noted. Evaluating some of the other systems gave spectacular results- the muffler is still stock, and hasn't gotten fouled; ethanol in our gas hasn't ruined the carb (yet). This experience has been positive enough for me to wish Echo would reintroduce a 90+cc version. It has been vastly more reliable and durable than the Holzfforma 660 it shares bench space with! And while it works very well, some of our 36" hickory logs overwhelmed it, necessitating a more powerful saw on occasion.

Spend a bit more and get a Stihl ms 261 or Echo 4910 almost as good as the 261 and less $$. You will not regret.

Back