Husqvarna Rancher 50 Running Issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lil171

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi all again. Been a while, but now have some free time to play with my saws again! So last year I aquired a Husqvarna Rancher 50 chainsaw. Got it running ok, but not great. Did not use it until I just dug it out last week. I did drain all gas last fall and run it dry. I put in new fresh gas and oil mix. It surprisingly started up very quickly and that is when it reared its ugly head again. The erratic runnig I had last year that I had thought I fixed, but apparently not..... So I started from scratch again. I turned both low and high needles in lightly, then backed each out 1 turn. Got teh saw started and then played with the idle to get it staying running. This was not too bad. But when I give it throttle, it does rev up for a second or two, then bogs down and stops. But sometimes if I let off the throttle quickly, it will bog down, but stay at idle. Does this sound like something major, or would it be as simple as carburetor adjustments? Thsi is with teh high speed at the 1 turn out. I did try both in and out a bit with very similar results. I had just read that it may also be a lean low speed needle setting. I will not be able to play with it again till hopefully Wednesday, but realistically Thursday as the recoil rope broke today. I am not that knowledgable with that so am waiting for my dad to come home and help me with that first. Thank you in advance for any help with this.

Recoil starter rope is actually pretty easy to replace. There are some really good youtube vids on it. I would start there..
on the tuning/running issue, the #of turns in/out on the screws are a good starting/reference point. Yours might have to be additionally adjusted either way... but maybe a good disassembly and cleaning is in order, first. Or, Sometimes, I start with a liquid carb cleaner in the tank, with fresh fuel mix, and run it, and see where it goes from there.
However, on this saw, you have a rubber “impulse pipe” between the intake, and carb mounting base that frequently can be problematic, and be a source or air leaks. If you’ve never had the carb off the saw, that might be a god place to look as well..

best of luck.....

Id start with a carb cleaning, kit, new fuel and impulse line...thats just stuff that goes bad sitting

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

The 50 doesnt have an impulse “line”, per se. It’s a small rubber tube about 1/2” long and gets sandwiched between the carb mounting base, and cylinder....

The 50 doesnt have an impulse “line”, per se. It’s a small rubber tube about 1/2” long and gets sandwiched between the carb mounting base, and cylinder....

Thank you. The saw was passed on today. I didn't want to do it, but I have too many projects on the go and was told to get another, one must go....... Sad day, but bittersweet. Thank you again all for your help and time.

Latest posts

Back