Husqvarna vs Stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He's not a DA, he's more like DB. He really needs to stop being such a SH too!!

I have not run the 261, I do have a good amount of time on the 550's and can say that they really are great little saws. Seems like the 550 has the weight advantage with its flimsy parts.

Yes an assemblage of flimsy parts will make a lighter piece. You guys get offended personally too easy. Remember, none of us MS 261 C-M owners call you da, db, sh, mfr, or eh hole. So just keep showing your immature character in the defense of your "lightweight" pieces!

The newer stihls seem to be made out of plastic real similar to huskies. If you're saying they're lightweight junk then you might as well be calling the 661 the same. It feels lighter than a 660 and feels just like a husky 390 as far as AV and flex feel. They're trying to make them lighter to compete with husky who has the same power in most models and lighter weight.

Forget what skier dude says! They are both top quality saws. Buy to one that feels best in your hands.

Huskys feel best in mine and the 346xp/550xp are what I want in a 50cc saw...

Xskier is prolly right, the stihls are WAY better, that's why the 661's are recalled to Germany, they get all the good stuff. My 550xp is a freak, as it has been perfect and has not fallen apart yet. Same with my 550xpg. Guess that makes me a freak, but then that is why we join AS right?

To the OP- handle them both, think about what dealer deserves your money and go there.

He joined the site today to research as much as he could. MustangMike, if anybody on hear lives near him and runs into the blue stang in his avatar..........watch out, she ain't stock @550hp ; )

Ski guy, he didn't get it yet. Wants to try and trade his 441 for it. His 044 will handle all the big stuff, looking or a limbing saw.

Skier, at least I've owned a 261: how many 346/550's have you owned?? And you don't see me calling the 261 a bad saw. I simply say the 346 is better. If someone has never run a 346, then the 261 feels great. However, for most (granted not everyone, but for the vast majority) the 346 just feels better. As for cutting, I can't see a dimes worth of difference. Perhaps the 261 has a scoshe power down low, but it is also slower to rev. I've cut with both enough to know that powerwise, I can't tell them apart. Tell me about your experiences with a 346?

...you don't see me calling the 261 a bad saw. I simply say the 346 is better. ...for most (granted not everyone, but for the vast majority) the 346 just feels better. As for cutting, I can't see a dimes worth of difference. Perhaps the 261 has a scoshe power down low, but it is also slower to rev...
My impressions as well, point by point.

I've heard down the grape vine that skier is actually only a teenager and that saw in his sig is his first and only saw his daddy gave him for christmas. He apparently has only run one tank through it so far with his 49.352:1 mix and somehow knows everything about the 2 biggest saw manufacturers products. I have broked far more stihls then husky's and i run husky's far more. When i run a plastic saw then go back to the heavy turd of a metal saw i learn to appreciate the flimsy plastics. I'm not talking about the new stihls either as they too have flimsy plastics. I'm talking about what saws used to be. Plastic IMO was an improvement.

Yet another aspect: serving the customer. If dealer matters, this comes into play for providing parts & service to the guy that pays the bill, AT A COMPETITIVE PRICE. When you have to sniff around for an IPL, that's not a good sign. Competition is good.

Skier, please tell us about how the bar studs mount an a 250 Stihl, you know, the "3hp" one. Then cue the mantra about flimsy plastic.

Im not brand biased..but if he wants a limbing saw i really think the 550 is a better choice
Appreciate the advice, but the research I've done reflects that M-Tronic seems to be more reliable than Auto Tune ... easier start up and you can cut right away. I want light weight, but reliability is more important. M-Tonic also adjusts the timing, not just the fuel mix. On the Husky site, the Husky rep is talking about "training dealerships on start up procedure and warm up time". Speaking of, how is that 441 C M you have? Does M-Tronic work as good as they say? That saw is supposed to be awesome. Went to the Stihl Dealer today, and I think I like the 362 better than the 261, and he just got one in with M-Tronic. I don't think it is even on the Stihl website yet.

Appreciate the advice, but the research I've done reflects that M-Tronic seems to be more reliable than Auto Tune ... easier start up and you can cut right away. I want light weight, but reliability is more important. M-Tonic also adjusts the timing, not just the fuel mix. On the Husky site, the Husky rep is talking about "training dealerships on start up procedure and warm up time". Speaking of, how is that 441 C M you have? Does M-Tronic work as good as they say? That saw is supposed to be awesome. Went to the Stihl Dealer today, and I think I like the 362 better than the 261, and he just got one in with M-Tronic. I don't think it is even on the Stihl website yet.

Well, there ya go..get the new 362mtronic stihl. Cut/report back, we like pics!

My 441 has worked perfect..no issues at all..for a limbing saw though the swedes are easier to flip around..but i love my 261 as well..i actually like it better for firewood..go feel em out and see what you like

I have both a ported Stihl 261 and a ported Husky 550xp. It's absolute nonsense that the Husky is built any worse than the Stihl.
If you want a lightweight limbing saw the 550xp would be a better choice. If you wanted a saw to get into a bit bigger wood the Stihl 261 is a good choice. Both excellent saws and either one will offer excellent service. The Stihl 261 is heavier than the 550xp and almost feels the same weight as my ported Jonsered 2260 ported saw.
Either way you can't go wrong.

No modern cdi ignition engine can "advance" the timing. The pickup is set at max btdc, then timing is retarded at cranking, idle, and rev limit. Yes M-Tronic has variable ignition timing.

The MS 261 C-M is a real saw compared to the flimsy feeling 550xp. The Husqys are cheaper because they use flimsy parts, poor attention to detail, and have poor service after the Internet sale. But hey, at least I've heard they have great sideways balance!
BS, no more, no less.
It really comes down to this. Do you want a mule or a racehorse?

I have had both. I picked the racehorse.

Back