Huztl MS660 new build will not start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffrey697

Reaction score
First time Huztl 660 builder here looking for help. I completed my build this morning and tried to get her started. Got nothing, it won't even pop with the choke on. Pulled the air filter and she is getting fuel. Pulled plug and have good spark. Pulled flywheel and woodruff key is good. Gapped the ignition coil and flywheel per the service manual specs. The kit carb is adjusted 1 full turn out from seated each for HI and LO. It passed pressure and vac tests during the build. I even tried starting it in fast idle mode (which I don't have, had to use zip tie to hold throttle open. Looks like OEM trigger assembly in my future.) Pulled so many times in fast idle flooded her out to the point fuel was leaking out of the muffler. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

You gotta start by clearing that flood. Pull the plug and crunk the saw upside down till no more mix comes out. Hold a lighter over the plug hole and crunk again, repeat (take care not to burn yourself). Put it back together and don't use the choke this time. If that fails, hold the throttle open and repeat. If that fails, leave the plug out overnight.

Agree with Ozhoo. You likely flooded it unless the kit carb is defective. Did the decomp valve pop out? I have found that it will often do that and not sound a pop and indicate that it is ready to go. Further pulling on choke will then flood the engine.

It also worries me that you have no fast idle mode. Stihl carbs and engines really need that fast idle setting to start easily after a couple of cold choke pulls.

Send the piece of junk back to China for a refund!
Whiskers, give him a break. Two of my friends locally have rebuilt MS 660's using new Huztl crank cases and top ends and added the other parts from their saws that were worn out. They both run well and have for over a year cutting big cottonwoods in Nebraska with 30" and 36" bars and chains. They spent a little over $200 and saved a saw they paid a grand for six years ago.

You gotta start by clearing that flood. Pull the plug and crunk the saw upside down till no more mix comes out. Hold a lighter over the plug hole and crunk again, repeat (take care not to burn yourself). Put it back together and don't use the choke this time. If that fails, hold the throttle open and repeat. If that fails, leave the plug out overnight.
Is the lighter for your own amusement rather than mix on your bench?

Do a compression test if you have not already done that. Also, could be Farmertec carburetor issue. I had fairly similar issues when building a MS200T from from 90% Farmertec parts, bought two Farmertec carburetors and they both didn't work. One did however start if I keep the saw in high idle, but constantly flooded the chamber and fuel was all over the muffler as well. Ended up rebuilding a used OEM carburetor and now the saw finally idles and runs.

New here, but I have seen some pressure and vacuum testing videos on youtube where the g660 tank venting was problematic until replaced with oem.

I just put one together and it wouldn't start on full or half choke. I ended up getting it started by holding the throttle wide open and pulling about 10 times. It did eventually fire. I turned my high and low down and opened them one turn. I've got it tuned now to just about start cold with full choke, etc. But it seems to flood or get a lot of fuel with full choke.

Mine doesn't have fast idle either. It does crank and run but it is very hard to start. 10-15 pulls
First time Huztl 660 builder here looking for help. I completed my build this morning and tried to get her started. Got nothing, it won't even pop with the choke on. Pulled the air filter and she is getting fuel. Pulled plug and have good spark. Pulled flywheel and woodruff key is good. Gapped the ignition coil and flywheel per the service manual specs. The kit carb is adjusted 1 full turn out from seated each for HI and LO. It passed pressure and vac tests during the build. I even tried starting it in fast idle mode (which I don't have, had to use zip tie to hold throttle open. Looks like OEM trigger assembly in my future.) Pulled so many times in fast idle flooded her out to the point fuel was leaking out of the muffler. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jeff

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Sounds frustrating. I find that letting them sit for a good while, lets the mind relax and think about the build from different angles. The solution might be something simple that you just can't get your head around. The other method that works well is having a mechanically gifted friend look at it. His/Her mind will be free of the frustration and might hit on the problem quite easily.

Good Luck!

Back