Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great. I just checked the flywheel nut and it does not fit on the clutch side.
Good idea.

@jack use the desktop site on your phone browser or go to your desktop

I'm on their site right now and it's working for me with no issues.

post some pics

Case, crank, flywheel, piston & cylinder are together.

I pushed the PTO side oil seal out from the inside with a small screwdriver prior to pressing the crank in the case. Flywheel side is no bother at all. I didn't use heat or cold, just oil and the brute force of a 20ton press. I don't like pressing it together. I'll fab up a puller for the next one I do. I ordered a Chinese clutch and an extra flywheel nut to use in the fab of the pullers.

11 pages and nothing running yet???

:)

Why do you keep a "sold" saw in the list? I'm guessing that MMWS = Mustang Mike Work Saws....:) These guys may not have enough "cool" letters to label their "built by them" saws. BT660? I for one appreciate those who would build & mod their own. Shows initiative, capability, in some cases creativity; along with learning some new skills....good stuff. And makes for an interesting thread for others who might join them that path.

I tried chrome web browser on my computer. I'll try explorer tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a valid question but so far we have run into delivery issues, communication issues with that company. discovering how to do things the first time with a product very few people have any experience with..lots of saw people here but these are saw puzzles. I am in for a delay because I have to order one seal and the gasket. trboxman is likely finishing his saw today he overcame the only obstacle I have seen. I could find no one with a press including businesses

11 pages and nothing running yet???

That's a valid question but so far we have run into delivery issues, communication issues with that company. discovering how to do things the first time with a product very few people have any experience with..lots of saw people here but these are saw puzzles. I am in for a delay because I have to order one seal and the gasket. trboxman is likely finishing his saw today he overcame the only obstacle I have seen. I could find no one with a press including businesses

Why wait a week for a seal & gasket?? To save a dollar? Time and aggravation is worth something too..:) Just go get one from a Stihl dealer. Then you can keep in the race...LOL! And if they have to order one, that's relevant information as well. Take the one you pulled out, tell them its for a ms660, and get them. Might be a minor upgrade as well with OEM seals....you really don't have to wait for the detail stuff should you mess one up or decide to upgrade. Did you pull that seal before trying to put things together? :) Mine were OEM blends as I've mentioned several times and learning these other sources of parts is important to the saw puzzle types as well. The two points being you really don't have to think in a linear fashion when doing these type projects AND as others before have found, you can significantly upgrade the "weak spots" on these AM parts saw by tactically replacing the less desirable parts with OEM...to me all part of the adventure.

( And as time has gone on the "hop up" mentality has kicked in for me and one of the places to start is things like better carbs. Along with the rubber intake parts, Clutch drum, Chain Adjust, Decomp; I've been tuning and tweaking making my 56mm version a major part of my operation here with a tweaked 54mm as backup. The detailing and tweaking is part of the story. While I'm certain most will be successful and even happy with the parts you get from AM...those builds really can be better especially for the week in week out work living with one... :) )

@weimedog yes I tried and it pinched and deformed. Now that I am an "expert" at removing preinstalled seals I would say on clutch side pinching is likely to happen.

I was not apologizing to the guy, I was looking at the page count like he. several pages devoted to just getting on the site, or getting them to communicate both unfortunate. It's not a race for me and I might come in last, so what. It's the journey. Most are already yawning.

The guy that made the first hurdle has yet to show us. I documented parts, fasteners, issues. I would love to "see" progress.

I did find a retired Stihl tech who said he could pull crank in for me and he said in the same breath I walking out the door for a 10 day vacation call me the week of the 25th.

So I have had to adjust my expectations that have certainly flirted with disappointment.. I will get there and it will be so sweet.

I wish I could film it all, it's not working out that way. Taking pics is best I can do for the build process.

@weimedog yes I tried and it pinched and deformed. Now that I am an "expert" at removing preinstalled seals I would say on clutch side pinching is likely to happen.

I was not apologizing to the guy, I was looking at the page count like he. several pages devoted to just getting on the site, or getting them to communicate both unfortunate. It's not a race for me and I might come in last, so what. It's the journey. Most are already yawning.

The guy that made the first hurdle has yet to show us. I documented parts, fasteners, issues. I would love to "see" progress.

I did find a retired Stihl tech who said he could pull crank in for me and he said in the same breath I walking out the door for a 10 day vacation call me the week of the 25th.

So I have had to adjust my expectations that have certainly flirted with disappointment.. I will get there and it will be so sweet.

I wish I could film it all, it's not working out that way. Taking pics is best I can do for the build process.

Why not Stick them together w/o the seals and see if definitive Dave has a seal driver & if your local dealer has the gaskets and seals. Of course the other option for those who feel nervous about that operation...they sell short block 660s cheap on ebay

A few pics. I don't document these things like a helecoper mom on a family vacation so there's lots of stuff not pictured.

Attachments

• 20160913_200247.jpg
    20160913_200247.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 120
  • 20160913_202249.jpg
    20160913_202249.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 127
  • 20160917_204746.jpg
    20160917_204746.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 142
  • 20160917_204926.jpg
    20160917_204926.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
  • 20160917_205140.jpg
    20160917_205140.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 113
I ordered the 660 kit yesterday myself. I'm a stihl tech and I was interested how the quality is on this $240 saw in a box. So what the heck.
I plan on putting the case together with my stihl case splitter-installer. The Stihl tool makes it easy to pull the crank through the halfs as that's the only way I've done it and only takes 15 min. I'm going to do it at my shop at home I'm sure Stihl probably wouldn't like it. They were talking about the stihl clones at the gold class in Virginia Beach I went to the and people selling them out of the trunk of their car. I can't see that being the case as it take someone with a little know how to put them together. When I do finally get the saw I'll post pics of it going together. .

It does take some skills and ability to adapt & innovate at times. The thing that also has to be entered into the discussion....the resultant saw isn't for a novice either! Big Heavy Powerful saws when done.

Oh, and for anyone wondering why I'm not done, the answer is really simple. This isn't a priority item for me. It's a way of whiling away the time while the weather is nasty during the fall and winter. Yesterday was our first good rain of the fall season with leaves and maple seeds flying everywhere in addition to the seemingly unending series of rain squalls. It was perfect day for tinkering. In addition to getting the basics done on the saw I made a weedeater/brushcutter vise from a wall mount bicycle vise, I put together my swiveling chainsaw work positioning vise, rebuilt the carb on my leaf blower and a couple of other minor things...

Oh, and for anyone wondering why I'm not done, the answer is really simple. This isn't a priority item for me. It's a way of whiling away the time while the weather is nasty during the fall and winter. Yesterday was our first good rain of the fall season with leaves and maple seeds flying everywhere in addition to the seemingly unending series of rain squalls. It was perfect day for tinkering. In addition to getting the basics done on the saw I made a weedeater/brushcutter vise from a wall mount bicycle vise, I put together my swiveling chainsaw work positioning vise, rebuilt the carb on my leaf blower and a couple of other minor things...

And you pretty much described me from the priority perspective, when I did mine...winter....inside....couldn't do much else! A pass time! To that point I was running the Husqvarna's. These damn things muscled into the work rotation MUCH to the chagrin of my buds who are mostly Husqvarna oriented..:) Guess I do have to confess I've been tearing into 2-strokes since I was a pre-teen...:( Old age and getting fat moved me from the dirt bikes to saws...have to scratch the mechanical itch, heat the house, And get some exercise. So Welcome to the "clutch head" club!

Latest posts

Back