Huztl MS660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Earlier test showed the 660 kit as MG. I think you can test with vinegar also. It Bubbles like peroxide on Magnesium is what welder told me
The clutch cover is magnesium. This thread shows filings burning. Has anyone has tested the cases?

I put a couple of tanks through my second 660. It is 54mm with base gasket. The compression after assembly was about 155 psi and the squish was larger than my solder diameter (0.038 inch). After the first tank I adjusted the h to stop 4 stroking in the cut. It runs great. The saw did not get a good work out in the soft wood and I had to apply a lot of force to make to stop 4 stroking. I could not tell the difference in cutting compared to my 56mm with no base gasket. The 56mm runs well too.

I also had my Huztl 372 with 52mm bore, the Stihl 440 with a 52mm huztl P&C, a stock Stihl 362, and an Echo cs-400. All ran well. The Huztl 372 ran nice but the power wasn't impressive. The Stihl 440 with the Huztl kit seamed to have more umph.

I used the Echo 400 for limbing. It is completely stock except the carb limiters fell off somehow. I really like the Echo for this job.

Say hello to my little friends!20161112_142539.jpg

Try setting that 660 54mm at 13300/13400 no load. It worries me that you have no base gasket in the 56mm. Almost think you might get it to run better with that gasket. My 56mm is significantly stronger than the 54mm version. I do prefer the 54mm to live with though. Easier to start & restart. Smoother. less violent and easier to hang onto.

I would think the free porting would be more on the 56 W/O the gasket.

Try setting that 660 54mm at 13300/13400 no load. It worries me that you have no base gasket in the 56mm. Almost think you might get it to run better with that gasket. My 56mm is significantly stronger than the 54mm version. I do prefer the 54mm to live with though. Easier to start & restart. Smoother. less violent and easier to hang onto.
I'm sure the 56mm is stronger. I just don't have any hardwood or large diameter stuff to make it shine above the 54mm. Violent is a good descriptor for the 56mm! It runs, idles and starts fine.

I would think the free porting would be more on the 56 W/O the gasket.
I do have freeport under the piston on the 56mm without the base gasket of 0.013 inch. It is crecent shaped so it is not a large area. The squish is 0.023 inch. I might try it with the base gasket after I finish the rest of my kits.

I'm thinking I will sell four of them on craigslist. I was thinking some people might want to buy a kit with the crankcase put together and they assemble the rest. Of course they will not be sold as Stihl chainsaws. Used Stihl 660's go for $600 or more in rough shape locally.

I do have freeport under the piston on the 56mm without the base gasket of 0.013 inch. It is crecent shaped so it is not a large area. The squish is 0.023 inch. I might try it with the base gasket after I finish the rest of my kits.

I'm thinking I will sell four of them on craigslist. I was thinking some people might want to buy a kit with the crankcase put together and they assemble the rest. Of course they will not be sold as Stihl chainsaws. Used Stihl 660's go for $600 or more in rough shape locally.

The gasket should be .5mm so you can calculate about what it would be. .013 isn't as bad as I was thinking.

That's good. On the next one when you put the piston on rotate the crank and make sure the piston doesn't hit the counter weights. Mine did
You're right on!! I'm putting my third one together and the piston skirt is interfering with the counterbalance lobes. It is so bad I can't rotated it past the interference by hand.

Must have been somthing with that last batch. My crank didn't have a slit on top like my first one

Well the third 660 (54mm without the base gasket) has 0.028" squish. Adding the base gasket would put the squish close to 0.048 inch. I'll run it tomorrow after the gasket cures (and it is light outside).

What do you guys that have built Huztl 660 have in them total?

Description Unit price
Shipping $98.89 USD
MS660 $186.00 USD
Subtotal $284.89 USD
Total $284.89 USD

Caber rings are a good idea as well as a decent decomp. Wrist pin bearing seems to be another better safe w/ oem item. So figure another 30 bucks or so in options.

This video won't stay up long, but there is a mix of 281/288/390/372 with a LOT of one particular MS660 of the HTSS 56mm kind noodling in here. SO a visual "update" of sorts...to those wanting to see these saws mixing in with others of similar size...and actually the 660 wasn't the focus or the reason this video was done, its the folks; but the job we were focusing on was big saw oriented and the 660 is my primary big saw right now. Just beginning to realize since its in the truck .. all the time, it dominates video time for now when big saws are selected for a task....has to change I think.

The MS660 was built in early 2015 BTW, Don't know if "Farmertec" has improved or updated any parts....this is the one with a little freeporting maybe .010in. Also on this saw the "no load" is just over 13K.

Again, One thing I need to point out is this 660 has a lot of video time simply because it's in my regular saw work rotation, like the 372 before it. Not really trying to push these its just what I've been using. That Husqvarna 281 might put it into retirement as I just like that saw as well and I'm due for a change. Also have a 576xp project nearing completion. That saw might be a contender to put the 660 into retirement. :)

Just built one and it runs great. Used my a-frame press to put the cases together. Only thing I replaced was the chain tensioner. Ordered another one with big bore kit and the MS361 with big bore kit. Too early to tell how long it will last. My wife is ready to kill me, got 7 saws and more on the way. Turning into a chainsaw junkie, cannot stop buying parts off eBay.
H E L P!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back