Hydraulic breather hole on 35ton huskee

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gugge

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have a small problem when transporting splitter hyd fluid will leak out of breather hole. Someone suggested putting a nipple on it to raise it a couple of inches thereby preventing the splashing fluid from leaving the tank. Has anyone done this? Does anybody see a problem with this? Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Same Splitter

I have the same splitter but have never transported it since the day I towed it home. You might try just temporarily plugging the breathing hole until you arrive at the new site.

You might try a small but long machine bolt with fiber washers to block the holes until you get there. eg. Bolt & washer then slide through the hole then another washer and run a nut down to hold them in place.

I think you would need to add length to your dip stick if you used a nipple. You'd have to add a couple to the nipple so the dip stick would screw back down. But I do believe it would stop the sloshing out through the breath hole.

Nosmo

Have a small problem when transporting splitter hyd fluid will leak out of breather hole. Someone suggested putting a nipple on it to raise it a couple of inches thereby preventing the splashing fluid from leaving the tank. Has anyone done this? Does anybody see a problem with this? Any help would be appreciated Thanks

Good Question. Mine does the same thing. I find it much easier to haul the splitter to the wood then the other way around. Not big on the nipple idea but will watch this thread as I am sure someone on this board has solved this problem already.

spilling from breather

I,m not really familar with this setup ,but had a long hydraulic experience. if you can lift the breather by adding an extension. that should solve the problem. it is just most small tanks dont have baffles to stop oil surging when transported. blocking it off could lead to trouble if it is blocked when working, as the oil needs to expand as it heats and this could lead to the delivery pipe blowing off through pressure if it is just held by a worm clip

Didn't use duct tape but close. There was a pc of an old bike innertube laying around that fit over the hole tight and worked great. No more sloshing out of breather hole during transit. Easy to take on and off and can have an endless supply. It was from a skinny tire

Small Diameter Inner Tube (Bicycle)

Great Idea. Cut up a few pieces and keep them under the pickup's seat.

Nosmo

I put about an 8" nipple on mine. No more problems. I put a coupler on the end of it and screwed the breather/dipstick back in. Is a pain to check fluid level but it doesn't leak when transported and when set up a little off kilter. - Ron

Latest posts

Back