Hydraulic log lift

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbarnes12

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a horizontal splitter (raised to fit My 6'6" height) and would like to put a log lift on this machine. I have a 6.5 hp motor with a 13/2.9 gpm 2-stage pump. How big of a cylinder would I need and why type of control value should I use for this lift? Any advice, pictures, drawings, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

your present set-up should handle the lift, since it's doubtful you'll ever be using both cylinders at the same time.

you would use the same type of control lever as your main cylinder. however, you might want to incorporate the use of a flow control valve in case it works too fast.

the size of the lift cylinder depends on your design. eg: how far will the lift travel. the 'arc' or radius of movement is critical so as to not put any stresses on anything when lifting.

Geesing

I have a horizontal splitter (raised to fit My 6'6" height) and would like to put a log lift on this machine. I have a 6.5 hp motor with a 13/2.9 gpm 2-stage pump. How big of a cylinder would I need and why type of control value should I use for this lift? Any advice, pictures, drawings, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Start thinking a 2x8, and work from there,..Eric

I have a lift on the splitter I have been working on . I have to move it because it is in the wrong position . It was placed in line with the wedge and I am moving it in between the push plate and the wedge .

The problem I am having is the old set up was only lifting horizontally . I am wanting it to lift up futher so I dont have to touch the log and the lift holds the log in place and keeps it from falling to the other side while the push plate pushes to the wedge ( like in a 90 degree position ) .

I see alot of wood not being used because people dont have a verticle splitter or a lift . I do have a vertical on another splitter but I know a lift is the way to go .

I used a 2" bore X 8" stroke on my log lift, the attachment points are really important, if you get them wrong, either it won't go all the way down, or not high enough. Also, I added a new hyd. valve, the "out" port from the main valve goes to the "in" on the new one. Then the "out" from the new one goes back to the tank. Series plumbing it's called. This need not be a detent valve.
splitterloglift.jpg

piston

great info, i didnt relize the way to hook up the valve(in line). I have a piston, brand new freebe 2" X 12" but it only has 1 port, will the weight from the lift push the fluid back to the tank. thanks in advance.

If you use it [single acting cyl] You'll have to get a one way valve for it. The weight of the lift may not be enough to close it up, or it might be really, really slow, especially in cold weather. Just my 2 cents, but I'd go with a D.A. cylinder.

Back