Hydraulic vs. 2 Stroke power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was a post not too long ago on AS, maybe before the new year though, of a guy showing off his hydraulic motor mill. Do some searching and you might find what I'm talking about. Myself, don't know much about hydraulics other than how I'd get sprayed with hot oil everytime a limb or part of a tree busted open a line when I was a logger for a paper company running a Franklin feller buncher machine.

Hydro - V's - 2 stroke power - V's - 4 stroke

After experimenting with all sorts of power propulsions for CSM's, Band mills and 2 strokes, here is what I have found.

Hydro is a very expensive route to take, it does have very smooth delivery and the power to match, but I feel it has its work cut out, please excuse the pun, to compete with the other ways, unless you already have the pump and motors to hand.

2 stroke is by far the most common and easiest to apply, and one thing I have mentioned many times before is, by reducing/converting your existing chain size down to a smaller pitch greatly increases your cutting speed, take the M7 for instance, she uses a 50 patern chain, my freinds unit is driven by MS 660 Stihl, very quick through the log.

Starting out with a new CSM and the size if saw needed to cut comfortably is not cheap and takes the longest to re-coupe because of the relatively slow speeds involved, but this system cannot be equalled by any other for there absolute portability.

A little off topic, but I would like to add, We have also been using 4 stroke power to drive a trailer based CSM, similar to the Procut mills, the power unit is the Honda GXV 13 hp motor electric start, things are coupled to the chainsaw bar via a simple conversion plate and driven by a harvester sprocket direct to the chain and bar, the advance is also electric.

In recent tests the 4 stroke out performs the Hydro system, and is relatively cheap to buy new compared to a big 2 stroke saw motor.

I do not have many pictures of the 4 stroke system yet, the tailer seen here comes in two 10 foot beds which fasten together giving a 20 foot platform, the rolling saw frame is very similar to my Log-Saw band, mill I will post more pictures of the 4 stroke set up once I have perfected things more.

Last edited:
I should have figured this internet out years ago I'm tired of being the guy trying everthing ten different ways because no one else around here even tried it once. A wealth of knowledge gentlemen. I managed to search back at similar questions thanks for the input.

Back