Splitter leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter20

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I can keep most small power equipment running, but have just about 0 experience on hydraulics.

Got this splitter used this Summer, don't have access to the former owner for questions. It worked OK twice before this Fall, but after starting today, noticed some hydraulic fluid leaking as seen in the picture.

The splitter was positioned on a slopping driveway with the leaking plug downhill. I'm thinking that's a factor as no fluid was leaking before. Is the plug supposed to seal air tight? Maybe it is designed
so that excess pressure can escape through the plug.

Is this a serious issue that I need someone with hydraulics knowledge. Or do I just move it uphill, make sure it's filled, and get back to work?

Attachments

• leak.JPG
    leak.JPG
    923.6 KB · Views: 0
  • overview.JPG
    overview.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Was the unit level? maybe its a leak from the tank vent?.......................................................................................................................

I can keep most small power equipment running, but have just about 0 experience on hydraulics.

Got this splitter used this Summer, don't have access to the former owner for questions. It worked OK twice before this Fall, but after starting today, noticed some hydraulic fluid leaking as seen in the picture.

The splitter was positioned on a slopping driveway with the leaking plug downhill. I'm thinking that's a factor as no fluid was leaking before. Is the plug supposed to seal air tight? Maybe it is designed
so that excess pressure can escape through the plug.

Is this a serious issue that I need someone with hydraulics knowledge. Or do I just move it uphill, make sure it's filled, and get back to work?
Yes, the filler sometimes will have a breather hole somewhere. If thats where it's leaking from, no biggie, park it on a level area. If the slope wasn't that steep, maybe the fluid was too full to begin with. Park it on a flat area and check the fluid level to see if it's overfull or if it's now low due to a small leak.

Yes, the filler sometimes will have a breather hole somewhere. If thats where it's leaking from, no biggie, park it on a level area. If the slope wasn't that steep, maybe the fluid was too full to begin with. Park it on a flat area and check the fluid level to see if it's overfull or if it's now low due to a small leak.
I'll do what it takes sir, to make the splitter great again

Just for another beginner's benefit:

The filler nut actually had a weep hole in back, which explains the leak when the fill side is downhill. After turning around, it was just above the Min line on the fill stick. Tested and it worked fine. Have since added more Dexron and it's all good.

Thanks again for this site

Latest posts

Back