Hypoxylon canker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckmasterStumpGrinding

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Here in central Oklahoma we have had an ongoing problem with hypoxylon canker killing maples and oaks. I have heard that hypoxylon only effects stressed trees. I can attest to the fact that a few years after a drought we have many hypoxylon removals. I have seen a disturbing trend of well taken care of trees becoming infected dispite fertilization and watering. I usually recommend delaying pruning until winter but in the case of hypoxylon I will sometimes choose to prune year round while using a 10% bleach solution. I have not seen much discussion on this disease and would like to hear what leads to the best chance of saving lightly and moderately infected trees.

Here in central Oklahoma we have had an ongoing problem with hypoxylon canker killing maples and oaks. I have heard that hypoxylon only effects stressed trees. I can attest to the fact that a few years after a drought we have many hypoxylon removals. I have seen a disturbing trend of well taken care of trees becoming infected dispite fertilization and watering. I usually recommend delaying pruning until winter but in the case of hypoxylon I will sometimes choose to prune year round while using a 10% bleach solution. I have not seen much discussion on this disease and would like to hear what leads to the best chance of saving lightly and moderately infected trees.
Keeping trees healthy by proper mulching can go a long way toward warding off hypoxylon.
It rarely kills normally healthy trees but if it is on a trunk the tree rarely survives. I have seen it remove a limb much the same as pruning and the rest of the tree be fine. Hypoxylon lives in the bark and manifests when the tree or limb becomes too stressed in my findings and in my studies.

Like rope said, mulch, water, improve vigor. I believe AgriFoss is can be used for it as a bark drench but not 100% sure. I would be more concerned with oak wilt or sudden oak death in your area.

Hypoxylon lives in the heartwood of the tree and surfaces to produce airborne spores. By the time the bark splits open and spores are visible the heartwood is generally rotten much further down the branch.

That article is entirely consistent with all the research I've done. No treatment, no cure, it puts the nail on the coffin of a stressed tree.
FYI, Pecans are susceptible as well.
I seen after posting it was a service and their article but yes was current with my reading and knowledge as well.

This fact sheet says to prune when nessisary so I am assuming that means year round and apply wound dressing to prevent oak wilt.
http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-2312/F-7620web.pdf

Not sure wound dressing is effective and has been found toxic. Yes you can remove infected limbs but thought should be included as to weather attracting bugs carrying oak wilt or blister is worth losing a stressed declining tree. I personally believe infecting trees with oak wilt in an attempt to save a stressed declining hypoxyolon infested tree in summer not my idea of phc. I did however remove many already dead in a forested section to remove hazards caused by it. The remaining trees that survived all seem healthy! I have wood in my dump that has hypoxylon all over it; trees right beside the logs are healthy jfyi!

Also related; I hunt our forests the trees there that have been finished off by hypoxylon have not shown to be detrimental to other healthy trees in the area!

Back