I am getting better at this (square)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I worked on a chain yesterday, and then went out and gave it a go.
:omg: is a understatement.
I am getting a lot better at getting the angles right.
The next thing is to figure out what to do to keep from grinding into the chassis of the chain as much.
I will get there, but I am (finally) learning this stuff.IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0029.jpg

The two P’s , Practice and Patience, understanding what makes a strong angel or weak, according to the wood ur cutting, Ur on your way, keep up the good work , like Kevin was saying keeping ur file angel so it doesn’t cut into the straps a lot and rivets , It will put a smile on ur face see a chain cut effortlessly threw the wood, Vallorbe make a good square file ,

Its awesome when you get a feel for hand filing square ground. I thought I would stick with square ground after i perfected it myself but after working alot in my conditions i ended up just grinding all my square back to round..... round was faster for me at the end of the day and I never felt the square was so much better that it was worth the slower filing in the field. If I wasnt cutting dirty or stumps with fence in them i would likely run square but it doesn't fit my style as well as round ground.....holy smokes i typed a whole reply without this website glitching out and refreshing on me...... Miracle

Its awesome when you get a feel for hand filing square ground. I thought I would stick with square ground after i perfected it myself but after working alot in my conditions i ended up just grinding all my square back to round..... round was faster for me at the end of the day and I never felt the square was so much better that it was worth the slower filing in the field. If I wasnt cutting dirty or stumps with fence in them i would likely run square but it doesn't fit my style as well as round ground.....holy smokes i typed a whole reply without this website glitching out and refreshing on me...... Miracle
Yup square faster , but it really only shines in clean wood , if ur in dirty wood you’ll have a bad day for sure , that’s were round semi chisel come to play , but a razor sharp chisel chain will put a smile on ya , a smooth chain is a fast chain,

ok, a little thinner on the edge of the wheel, a little less height on the side of the tooth, I get it.
Lots of variables to work out. I will get it, atleast for now I have a setting that will make a decent inside corner.

Also, something that needs mentioned does nobody want to talk about How Square ground on safety chain like the OP is using is what I would call pointless

Same with me. Advantages of square to small, and I'm round filing again. I've a few square chains still in boxes, and will square file a bit, but at some point I just gravitate back to round.

Granted Square grinding or filling isn’t for everyone, the majority of people cutting firewood for sale or weekend wood cutters are using round chain , it’s the professional fallers in the west coast that prefer square chain, it’s faster in the big Doug Fir and Cedar and other soft wood they are more prevalent to especially under cuts and cleaning up Dutchman’s , but it’s satisfying to see a razor sharp square cut efficiently

I never even thought about that!
Safety chsin
What it is, I took a couple loops of, I think, 8ten chain. Converted them to square

As for pointless, it is an experiment. It is throwing chips well. I’m not out a lot of $$$, and I’m finally using a grinder I bought 4-5 years ago

Safety chsin
What it is, I took a couple loops of, I think, 8ten chain. Converted them to square

As for pointless, it is an experiment. It is throwing chips well. I’m not out a lot of $$$, and I’m finally using a grinder I bought 4-5 years ago
The double shark fin raker and or depth gauges,

Safety chsin

It’s not pointless. That simple safety raker will cut just as fast as regular chain in normal sized firewood. Above 24-28” it may have a disadvantage

Ok, I went out and "tried" to file the chain back up... omg, if the grinder is difficult, then hand filing is even tougher!
I realized it was not cutting well at all, and swapped to a fresh loop. Night and day.
So, that hand filed disaster of 8ten can be converted back to round filed. it is fine that way.
I made up two NEW loops of genuine Stihl RS, and this is a first for me.
Put them on the square grinder and converted them without even running them first.

Anyway... on with the fun!

Ok, I went out and "tried" to file the chain back up... omg, if the grinder is difficult, then hand filing is even tougher!
I realized it was not cutting well at all, and swapped to a fresh loop. Night and day.
So, that hand filed disaster of 8ten can be converted back to round filed. it is fine that way.
Put them on the square grinder and converted them without even running them first.

Remember the two P&P’s 👍

Something like that, more for soft wood IMG_1243.jpeg

I can about put any type of file to a chain and have it cut just fine. A cutting edge is an edge, but you got to see it to evaluate the edge. Reading glasses (2x power at least) and a head lamp and you'll be amazed at how consistent the edges become and how sharp.

My first attempt at square filing was before I ordered the "correct" files. I just grabbed a bastard file and went at it. It was incredible. I mean it was real real angry in wood.

Back