I am gonna buy a chain grinder/sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a pretty good video that viewers might like...

YouTube - How to sharpen chainsaw chain and save time and money or earn money

I went to website of the Diamond Wheel looking for a price of their
chain grinding wheel...but it just gives "type" numbers.
Guess you would just have to call and ask about price....
But that would seem like the way to go unless price is... :msp_cursing:
:cheers:
J2F

Price varies at US Diamond, depends on size of the blank you need, how far up on the wheel you want coating with CBN, etc. It is not cheap, but way cheaper than you will find at some other shops. Additionally, the wheel will never need dressing and will wear a long, long, time. And when it does wear down, as long as the steel blank is unaffected, they'll recoat it for you at a discount. You have to really pound on them before they'll overheat a cutter. I really like mine and am considering ordering one for .325 chain.

One thing for sure, whatever that wheel touches will disappear. Quickly.

Price varies at US Diamond, depends on size of the blank you need, how far up on the wheel you want coating with CBN, etc. It is not cheap, but way cheaper than you will find at some other shops. Additionally, the wheel will never need dressing and will wear a long, long, time. And when it does wear down, as long as the steel blank is unaffected, they'll recoat it for you at a discount. You have to really pound on them before they'll overheat a cutter. I really like mine and am considering ordering one for .325 chain.

One thing for sure, whatever that wheel touches will disappear. Quickly.

Cool post!! I noticed in the video that the guy said it wouldn't
overheat..."blue"...a cutter. That a real big plus !!!
He did it quite lightly...just a touch...back-off...another touch...etc.
Rep sent
J2F

Same as the Jolly Star, and almost the same as 511ax. Made and sold by the same company under at least 3 different names. Search for my review of the Jolly Star. Decent grinder.

Thank ya sir. Will do directly.

I own and run a Speed Sharp Auto (same as Oregon Auto). Great grinder however my first one went back with leaking hydraulics that I couldn't seem to fix - happened in the first two weeks from memory. This is uncommon but certainly not unheard of. They are a good grinder and I know a few guys in the industry that run them and they've had no issues at all. Apart from the hydraulics the only other problem I know of is that they lack the self centreing vice and I have heard of one unit that wasn't grinding each side evenly. The guy who owned it simply loosened a few of the allen headed bolts holding the vice together and shifted things around a bit (there was a very small amount of play in the bolt holes) then retightened it. Problem solved.
I like mine and run three of the ABN/CBN wheels which are great but spendy.

By the way I've also owned manual vice grinders and the speed difference between these and the autos is colossal. However if you're only sharpening the odd chain I wouldn't even consider an auto to be honest, especially if something goes bad with the hydraulics once the warranty runs out - down the track this is a distinct possibility after a lot of use.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. I'll probably go with the hydraulic unless I hear about bigger issues with the hydraulic feature.

- Rick

I've been looking at the Tecomec TL136 grinder. Same features as the Oregon 511AX but slightly cheaper.

I've got GBMaxx setup up for .325", a Foley Belsaw 308 setup for 3/8", an Oregon 511A on the shelf (to be sold) and a Northern Tool Oregon 511A knockoff I'm setting up to do rakers. I can't tell the difference between the Northern and the 511A except the color. They are identical. However, the Tecomec FL136 is a good machine Tecomec makes Oregon also looks the same as NT. The new Fl136's don't reverse like the older FL136's so one cutter grinds in, one grinds out. I think there is a reversable FL136 on Ebay now. For the money Northern Tool in my opinion is a satisfactory grinder around $120.00.

Shep

What do you mean by "self centering vise"?
Both sides of the vise move to open and close. Supposed to keep the chain centered regardless of gage. Supposed to be more accurate and repeatable than the plain jane vise on the 511a and knockoffs. Tradeoff is that it's not super sturdy, you have to be gentle with it.

Is that self centering vise really worth 70 bucks though? The fella in the video seems to be doing a fine job with his 511a.:dunno:
I like the locking handle of the 511a, i'm not a fan of the L handles.

I agree he seems to be doing a great job with the old grind!!

I wonder if they are even made anymore?? Bailey's doesn't sell them...
Madson's doesn't...and I could only find a knock-off copy on Ebay for $209....
So where would you buy one from?? (511a)
J2F

I wonder if they are even made anymore??
Apparently not.

There's a few old stock on the 'bay sold as the Tecomec TL136. Same thing, different color (all the Oregon grinders are made by Tecomec).

The 511a seems to have been replaced with a different model, sold under several different names and model #'s. I think it is called the Carlton 510b, but I don't remember for sure.

Latest posts

Back