I am new here and to chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asere

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I am here because I need to cut down a tree in my lawn that is 23 years old and recently some limbs have broken off.
I have been looking at Husqvarna 445, 450 and 455 chainsaws.
Are any of these chainsaws overkill for one tree that's around 20" round?

Attachments

• 20230919_185759.jpg
    20230919_185759.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 7
Hello, I am here because I need to cut down a tree in my lawn that is 23 years old and recently some limbs have broken off.
1 tree get a rental saw

Be careful

1 tree get a rental saw

Be careful
Yes I thought about that but for one day it's like $75 plus tax and I may need it for 2 or 3 days since I'm also going to dig up roots around the tree that are popping out and that takes a bit. I figure with tax that's almost $250 and the 445 is $399.
I just don't know if the 445 is powerful enough.

Yes I thought about that but for one day it's like $75 plus tax and I may need it for 2 or 3 days since I'm also going to dig up roots around the tree that are popping out and that takes a bit. I figure with tax that's almost $250 and the 445 is $399.
Any chainsaw is powerful enough even a 35 or 25 cc model. A sharp chain and felling skills will get you farther than a big saw, everytime.

You need to find a buddy that has a saw and skills. You just don’t buy a saw and you’re Larry Lumberjack outta the box. That tree can get you before you get it
For thin branches I already took practically all the tree down with a 10" Worx. I just need the fat trunk and big limbs removed.
I would definitely wear all the proper body protection if I use a real chainsaw.

For thin branches I already took practically all the tree down with a 10" Worx. I just need the fat trunk and big limbs removed.
I would definitely wear all the proper body protection if I use a real chainsaw.
The rest is a Whole different animal from removing limbs. That’s a decent size tree, Get it cut down by somebody with experience and keep all your limbs 😉

Shouldn’t take more than a half day rental. Find a friend with saw experience, kids to direct traffic for the drop. Cut everything up and take the rental back. Then…cleanup. Stump and roots are for a completely different tool. best to hire a stump grinder service…should be around $200.
inquire here for a member near you to help…expect at least a 12pk as payment.

what I would do :p

You haven't even gotten started. That looks like a Bradford Pear and they will bite you, top heavy trees.

I'm also going to dig up roots around the tree that are popping out and that takes a bit.

Rent a stump grinder for taking care of the roots.

As to cutting up the tree? If you cannot cut up that tree in just one day, then you might consider a different plan entirely. A professional or an experienced firewood cutter would be done in a couple of hours. If there isn't much wood left above what is shown in the picture, I'd guess it would take me less than 45 minutes. A 20" trunk will be less than 2 minutes per cut, assuming a sharp chain and a relatively small chainsaw. A large bore, professional sized chainsaw will knock off a 20" cut in about 30 seconds.

You need to find a buddy that has a saw and skills. You just don’t buy a saw and you’re Larry Lumberjack outta the box. That tree can get you before you get it

This is so true!

One of the biggest losses of time for a new chainsaw user will be the MANY times they get the saw pinched in a cut. It is surprisingly easy, and it usually requires a 2nd saw to liberate the first one.

With only one saw and a relative lack of experience, you are likely to be a long, long time getting the tree cut up.

Yes, the tree is bare and likely has only 4 limbs with leaves. I cut it little by little with the 10" Worx (the thin ones) that's relatively safe with the extension pole. I may keep doing so taking my time like I've done. Once it's only the trunk like 5 feet tall I will rent a chainsaw and wear gear and take my time on the trunk.
I then plan on drilling the trunk and placing chemicals to rot it.
Question...if I place chemicals in the trunk will the offspring that is growing from the extended roots continue to grow or once the trunk rots the extended rots will rot too?
It's a Bradford Pear.

Can you sharpen a chain? Cutting roots/dirt/stones is going to trash the chain fast.

This is so true!

One of the biggest losses of time for a new chainsaw user will be the MANY times they get the saw pinched in a cut. It is surprisingly easy, and it usually requires a 2nd saw to liberate the first one.

With only one saw and a relative lack of experience, you are likely to be a long, long time getting the tree cut up.
The miracle of the wedge when used at a prudent time.
Priceless

Yes, the tree is bare and likely has only 4 limbs with leaves. I cut it little by little with the 10" Worx (the thin ones) that's relatively safe with the extension pole. I may keep doing so taking my time like I've done. Once it's only the trunk like 5 feet tall I will rent a chainsaw and wear gear and take my time on the trunk.
Question...if I place chemicals in the trunk will the offspring that is growing from the extended roots continue to grow or once the trunk rots the extended rots will rot too?
It's a Bradford Pear.
Put a barrel over the dryied out stump next summer. Then soak with fuel oil after drilling holes all over it. You will need a six pack and a fan to get things cooking.

It's a Bradford Pear.

A good dose of broadleaf weed killer containing triclopyr will finish off most trees. Apply it to the cambium of the stump after cutting the tree down. It won't even make your lawn nervous, either, so you can also treat the sprouts coming up anywhere in your yard. This is good stuff to treat those weed trees coming up in the fence in the back yard, too.

There are some pricey stump treatments out there, but they are only marginally better than the triclopyr, and you can use that same product to kill the clover and dandelions that might be growing elsewhere in your yard.

Put a barrel over the dryied out stump next summer. Then soak with fuel oil after drilling holes all over it. You will need a six pack and a fan to get things cooking.

OMG. No.

That's a pretty residential looking location. The fire dept will be along shortly, putting out the fire and handing out tickets, too.

Latest posts

Back