I am so tired of Junk!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avalancher

Arboristsite Raconteur
Reaction score
Seems like it is harder these days to find good quality anything, and yesterday had me pulling my hair out.

I fix a lot of stuff for people, my wife works as a school teacher, and evidently lots of the women folks have men who cant or wont fix stuff.she is forever dragging home stuff for me to fix for the gals for a small fee.

Yesterday I decided to tackle the ever growing pile of stuff that needed fixing, some of my own stuff to boot.

First was a water cooler that wasnt cooling.First thing I looked for after accertaing that the motor was getting power was the refridgerant levels.No taps to be found anywhere on the thing.How did they get the stuf in there to begin with?
Cut a line and brazed in a tap and added some refridgerant.A few moments later after jumping the motor over I got the thing running.Why make something like this that cant be fixed just because it was just a little bit low on refridgerant?
Next was a table that the lady wanted refinished.She had assured me that she had paid 900 bucks for this table only a year ago, the finish looked like carp!A careful examination revealed that the whole thing was partical board with just a thin venear of oak over the top.Top quality my butt!Carefully sanded it down by hand and shot three coats of poly on it.

Next was a very sick 4 stroke leaf blower.total junk.The carb was plugged with garbage, a peek into the tank revealed no fuel filter.Not even one in the fuel line.No wonder it was plugged up!

Next was a nice axe that I had bought online.First swing I took with the thing the head went flying off.Paid 40 bucks for this thing, and it didnt even have any wedges to hold the head on, just expoxied on to the handle.WTF?

Besides the above items, I repaired

an electric frying pan that had a burnt out fuse that was gotten to only by prying apart the thermostat and regluing it back together

a computer printer full of ink

a belt sander that had the fancy "no kink" type of swivel in the cord that came apart(it aint got it now, but at least it works)

a electronic scale that had bad battery contacts made of all things aluminum.

A lawnmower that had more plastic than michael jackson.No gasket on the cam cover what so ever, and they wondered why it leaked oil all over the place

I am so sick of junk!

Easy. Tell your wife that the handi-man is no longer in business and to stop bringing it home.. :)

Ian

Easy. Tell your wife that the handi-man is no longer in business and to stop bringing it home.. :)

Ian

Nah, the cash is good, the ladies like it, the wife looks good, and it gives me something to do on those rain days.I just wish they made stuff with the idea of that when it breaks it could be repaired, not just thrown away and get you a new one.Our landfills have enough in em already.

I hear ya'. Seems like everything is a consumable these days.

The silver lining in this is that the wife gets to reinforce that she married a useful man (dare I say Renaissance man?) and make the other ladies terribly jealous. :D

I agree with you completely about garbage being made and propagated everywhere now. I go out of my way to spend what it takes to find good stuff for projects I work on and sometimes good made in America products (or good products period) aren't available for any price. It seems like if you want something better than what the average dumbass buys at Home Depot or Ace you're going to spend weeks just trying to find it, then weeks trying to find someplace to buy it, then weeks waiting for it. It's too bad the mighy dollar rules everything and stores won't stock a quality American product because it cost 20 cents more than some made in China trash.

Are you sure you are recieving the whole end of the bargain or is your wife siphoning off some of the cash?!?! :jawdrop:
Maybe she just wants you doing something so that you don't get any funny ideas! :popcorn:

My god I am so negative today

Hey Avalancher, you seem like a nice pal to have... I don't know too many people that can perform repairs on refrigerators, because it's a pressurized system, coolants are not easy to get hold of, and you usually need special tools.

I repair all my household equipment and that of family relatives, but I usually let them run for parts, if needed. And I'm not spreading the word either....!!!

I'm with ya bother!! When I go into Home Cheapo and look over the power equipment and hand tools I have to stop and take a moment to feel sorry for those who buy it, LOL
Hand tools are so bad that I have started to shop the second hand shops and auctions for things like hammers/punches/axes/ shovels/forks/rakes,, you know what i am talking about. If it looks like it is 50 years old it will outlast 10 new ones and name brands dont help either. I paid over $50 for a Estwing camp axe that is a total POS, it's going to take a "journey" over the line fence or in the creek one day soon.

The manufacturers of this junk don't want it to be repairable. They want you to throw it away and buy another one from them. They are thinking about their bottom line.

I agree.
Stuff now a days is just throw away junk.
I to shop at second hand stores and junk shops to buy my had tools.
They are cheaper then new, and better built.
Even when you spend the extra cash on a new item attempting to get good quality it is still junk.

Buyer beware!!

IMO the economy is now based on the productivity of consuming, not necessarily productivity in and of itself.

Maybe that doesn't fully explain it but it's all I got at the moment.

IMO the economy is now based on the productivity of consuming, not necessarily productivity in and of itself.

Maybe that doesn't fully explain it but it's all I got at the moment.
It kinda does we live in a throw away society. I think I speek for many on here we rather rebuild or fix it and improve it than throw it out and buy something new. At least that's my opinion after reading the all threads on here as most guy's and gals would like to fix what they have and save a few bucks and end up with something that is better than new except it might have a few scratches on it lol. But most consumers and the companies making the stuff could care less and the stuff from china is pure junk!!!
I will go a bit off topic But take a Poulan chain saw lot's of you think they are crap sure they are no Jred or Stihl but they are still made in the U.S and you can get parts for them very easly and they are cheap too, just try and get parts for a Wang Fung saw? Now Iam not making any sense lol.

I know your pain.

I only fix stuff for my one neighbor now.

Sad that most people have only two tools:

"a checkbook and ink pen".

Anybody with money can write a check to make things happen; what a strong character a man builds for himself when he can fix/fabricate/build anything by sight, tools and such!

I know your pain.

I only fix stuff for my one neighbor now.

Sad that most people have only two tools:

"a checkbook and ink pen".

Anybody with money can write a check to make things happen; what a strong character a man builds for himself when he can fix/fabricate/build anything by sight, tools and such!
Yep we are all old school! just try and find a shoe maker to re sole your favorite boot's?

There will come a point when those who can truly work with their hands will be more valuable that those who cannot.

I do not think society values working with your hands nearly enough. They value the $ and that's about it. Ingenuity, creativity and the ability to think through and repair a mecahincal device is quickly becoming a thing of the past (hell so is having your own garden for that matter)....tides will turn someday IMO, but I don't know if my lifetime will ever see it.

Yep we are all old school! just try and find a shoe maker to re sole your favorite boot's?

that's why I think my next pair will be a Viberg or something similar. Atleast I can send them off to be redone and they're not made in China....don't know about thei Vibram soles though...but I digress.

Last edited:
There will come a point when those who can truly work with their hands will be more valuable that those who cannot.

I do not think society values working with your hands nearly enough. They value the $ and that's about it. Ingenuity, creativity and the ability to think through and repair a mecahincal device is quickly becoming a thing of the past (hell so is having your own garden for that matter)....tides will turn someday IMO, but I don't know if my lifetime will ever see it.
I think you are right on the mark with this.

Headleyj, check out Mike Rowe's site and videos. It may give you encouragement.

http://www.mikeroweworks.com/2009/07/mikes-mission-video/

Latest posts

Back