I bent my splitter's toe plate!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good comments on the smaller wedge, guys.

I'll get a letter out to TSC today. I'm not going to go the phone route. A FedEx letter straight to the CEO may be slower, but it will get more attention.

I would take the splitter to the store, the manager will be capable of replacing it and will act fast to avoid a potential scene. you will be pleasently suprised at their response I bet.

I bent the toe plate on my FIL's 22 ton Huskee/SpeeCo in the same fashion as the original poster. Splitting nasty twisted grain green oak. Stopped the splitter cold a couple times. I'll see if I can get pictures tonight. It is not bent as badly as the one on this thread, but still has a noticable bend. For reference, my FIL's 22 ton is 4-5 years old and had the solid foot design.

BZZZT!

Wrong answer. That plate is intended for holding the wood that's being split. Not all chunks of wood have nice straight sides that can be neatly positioned against the very back of the toe plate. It's made that size for that very reason.

There's no reason a properly designed machine should be able to wreck itself in normal operation.

===

I hope your right, but I'd bet against it...

"One thing is for sure, the many folks who say they've got a 20 or 22 ton splitter that will split anything, just haven't been splitting really tough wood."

Thats a big no s:censored:tter!

Sorry to see your troubles with the speeco. I think they realy try to put out decent product while trying to compete with Lowes/Sears and HF. Give the local store a chance to make it right before you fire off to the SEO. TSC is usually pretty good about such things.

BlueRidgeMark I'd give Speeco a call, It can't hurt to try. I also don't see how sending a letter to TSC will do anything, as Speeco will be covering the warranty, not TSC. I'll send you a PM with the Email address of the guy who helped me out the other week.

:cheers: Andy

Well, a good update. Took advice from some of you, called TSC. The manager checked with Speeco on the warranty, and called me back. Turns out there's a warranty shop for Speeco a stone's throw from TSC, and I dropped it off there this afternoon.

They've got to order a new beam and swap it out. No static, no hassle. TSC said 3-4 days. The two young gals at the shop had no clue, but said someone from the shop would call me.

I'll post an update when it's done.

I do plan to follow up with Speeco on this as a design issue, though. The TSC manager said he'd seen one other like this in the last few years. I guess if they have to replace the odd unit out of hundreds, it probably makes sense to keep the design as-is, from a business standpoint.

Not everybody out there is trying to split 50 inch across, dry oak crotches! :D

The bad news now is, on the way there I passed by 'my' big oak, and somebody else has been harvesting 'my wood'!!! :angry2:

Ah, well, first come, first served. Fair is fair. :(

But he'd better be quick, because I'll be back! :greenchainsaw:

Tommy was right BlueRidge and I am sorry to say it. I just got this 22 ton unit, I don't plan to split real hard stuff with it cause the old wood The Dan lets me bring back to the yard is the prime easy stuff. Still, This is one of the better splitters for around 2200.
steel008-1.jpg
The of course some of that prime stuff
Sarahandtrees_059.jpg
I have somemore somewhere, I have about 7 cords to split for this winter.

I worked for a company that did customer service/satisfaction consulting for some of the big box stores years ago. The thing they all realize it's better to make a customer happy then lose them and at least one other customer permanently.
If you are unhappy with something from them take it back they will almost always make it right as long as you’re being reasonable.
These places are no longer selling the top of the line products so they make up for that short fall with trying to provide good customer service.

I do plan to follow up with Speeco on this as a design issue, though. The TSC manager said he'd seen one other like this in the last few years. I guess if they have to replace the odd unit out of hundreds, it probably makes sense to keep the design as-is, from a business standpoint.
QUOTE]

If you find the time send me some rough dimensions of the toe plate. When I get a free minute I will toss it into the computer and do a quick FEA analysis on it.

I worked for a company that did customer service/satisfaction consulting for some of the big box stores years ago. The thing they all realize it's better to make a customer happy then lose them and at least one other customer permanently.
If you are unhappy with something from them take it back they will almost always make it right as long as you’re being reasonable.
These places are no longer selling the top of the line products so they make up for that short fall with trying to provide good customer service.

I agree, I work for one of the bigger metal building manufactures, I volunteered to help out in customer service once while a guy was sick, I couldn't believe how much crap we gave away, even when it wasn't our fault. It sure changed my mind set on the "willing to please" and how companies will go out of their way to try to make you happy. I found that out to be true with Lowes, they gave me a new mini fridge because the refrigerator I bought from them broke and the service company was dragging their feet getting it fixed, I called and complained almost to the point of being unreasonable and they paid for a new mini for the time I was without one and all the food content that was in my fridge, it was about as half as much of a new fridge just because their subleted repair service was crap, Kudos to Lowes for fixing that one.

Well, a good update. Took advice from some of you, called TSC. The manager checked with Speeco on the warranty, and called me back. Turns out there's a warranty shop for Speeco a stone's throw from TSC, and I dropped it off there this afternoon.

They've got to order a new beam and swap it out. No static, no hassle. TSC said 3-4 days. The two young gals at the shop had no clue, but said someone from the shop would call me.

I'll post an update when it's done.

Not everybody out there is trying to split 50 inch across, dry oak crotches! :D

The bad news now is, on the way there I passed by 'my' big oak, and somebody else has been harvesting 'my wood'!!! :angry2:

Ah, well, first come, first served. Fair is fair. :(

But he'd better be quick, because I'll be back! :greenchainsaw:

Good update. Hope you can get back to the wood soon.

Kevin

I'd ask if I could have the old bent one so you can put a solid base on it.

I know if I could bend that toe plate once I could do it twice!

It is refreshing to see a store/manufacturer stand behind there products for a change:cool:

BRM said, "The bad news now is, on the way there I passed by 'my' big oak, and somebody else has been harvesting 'my wood'!

Ah, well, first come, first served. Fair is fair."
--------------------
Claim jumpers! Some people have no respect. It was obvious to them that someone had already started working on that mother lode. They had no respect for your work, and their greed overtook their courtesy. So, they just started taking it.

I only wish that I could have been there to help you bring in that old oak tree, one way of the other. :cry:

BRM said, "The bad news now is, on the way there I passed by 'my' big oak, and somebody else has been harvesting 'my wood'!

Ah, well, first come, first served. Fair is fair."
--------------------
Claim jumpers! Some people have no respect. It was obvious to them that someone had already started working on that mother lode. They had no respect for your work, and their greed overtook their courtesy. So, they just started taking it.

I only wish that I could have been there to help you bring in that old oak tree, one way of the other. :cry:

No, it was done with permission of the property owner, and I knew someone was going to make an attempt. I was just hoping that they didn't know what they were doing. Bad for me - they apparently did!

But I made sure not to leave any easy stuff for them. ;) I cleaned up all the smaller (smaller meaning 18" or so!) pieces, except for a few that are holding up the big rounds.

It was understood to be a 'first come, first served' deal from the get go, so I have no grounds for complaint.

But that doesn't mean I can't moan about it on AS, right? :D

I'm just hoping I get my splitter back in time to be out there Saturday morning, and that there will still be some wood left!

Update On Warranty Response

Well, I took the splitter in to the warranty repair center last Monday, August 25th. The warranty center is a local company that contracts to do this work. (They also sell outdoor gear, ATVs etc.)

I was promised a call as soon as the tech took a look at it, but I was warned that probably would not happen until Wednesday, as they were backed up. Okay.

On Friday I called, and had to insist a bit to get to talk to someone who knew something. I was put through to a young man who stammered and muttered and finally admitted he hadn't done anything because he had no clue how to get parts or otherwise process a warranty claim. :dizzy:

*sigh*

It was late Friday, so on Tuesday morning I called Speeco. Got voicemail, left message, got no return call.

This isn't looking good.

I called again this morning. Got a live person named Mary. Explained the problem. Here's what Speeco is going to do:

• Fax the correct warranty forms to the repair center.
  • CALL the repair center to explain the warranty process to them, so they'll be able to proceed.

So far, so good, as far as Speeco is concerned. I'm happy with them, at this point.

Latest posts

Back