I "cheated" again today...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A skid loader is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.I have one at my disposal courtesy of a tree company I help out with on occasion with their equipment repairs.

The one I borrow will maybe lift a short ton or so but you can still move a heathy sized log with it.

I see you also have a pile of log's in the background , that's a nice little collection . What's the capacity of that trailer of your's? That's one hell of a trailer . The maximum you can tow in my state , is 1.5 time's the unlaiden mass of the towing vehicle . Look's like a well built trailer . Cheer's MM ps What you going to make out of the log's .

Yep it's quite a pile and it seems to grow faster than it shrinks. Maybe one day I'll get it down. This trailer actually belongs to my FIL. It's 24' long and rated at 14000 lbs. I'm lucky he doesn't use it much. Here you're limited to what the manufacturer says the towing capacity of the vehicle is or the registered capacity of the trailer. For the truck in the picture I believe it 18k but I'm not sure. It's been a while since I looked at it.

A skid loader is as handy as a pocket on a shirt.I have one at my disposal courtesy of a tree company I help out with on occasion with their equipment repairs.

The one I borrow will maybe lift a short ton or so but you can still move a heathy sized log with it.

Yep, it's hard to beat a skid steer for small operations. What's really amazing is how many attachments are available for it. My Dad has accumulated quite a few over the years to include regular buckets, a grapple bucket, auger, 6 way dozer blade, brush shredder and a pallet fork.

I looked at the capacities of this machine and the tipping weight is 4076 lbs. Those logs must be a little heavier than I estimated.

I actually horsed around an oak log that must weigh 4 or 5 tons by lifting one end and moving it that way.If worse come to worse the little skidders can roll a pretty plump log.

My old Fergeson TO 20 with a Davis loader will lift about 2500 pounds but the point is somewhat moot,lift yes,steer no.

aggiewoodbutchr really told the truth, about loading the loags.
It was real funny to watch that bobcat move those logs. One end of the log draging the ground, the two rear wheels about 16" up in the air. Sure glad it was 4 wheel drive AND steering.
Looked more like a tiny dog trying to carry a whole cows leg bone in its mouth. Will not let go of the bone, but the bone so heavy the dog can't pick up its head.
Aggiewoodbutchr pushed the heavy end along the ground, then up one side of the loading ramp of the trailer, down the side of the trailer, up and over atop the wheel fender, then back along the bed. Got to where he wanted it and turned 90 deg. into the trailer and dropped the log right where it should have been.
Could tell he had that practiced a couple of other times.
All in all, a good time and good haul of pecan wood.
Rich S.

aggiewoodbutchr really told the truth, about loading the loags.
It was real funny to watch that bobcat move those logs. One end of the log draging the ground, the two rear wheels about 16" up in the air. Sure glad it was 4 wheel drive AND steering.
Looked more like a tiny dog trying to carry a whole cows leg bone in its mouth. Will not let go of the bone, but the bone so heavy the dog can't pick up its head.
Aggiewoodbutchr pushed the heavy end along the ground, then up one side of the loading ramp of the trailer, down the side of the trailer, up and over atop the wheel fender, then back along the bed. Got to where he wanted it and turned 90 deg. into the trailer and dropped the log right where it should have been.
Could tell he had that practiced a couple of other times.
All in all, a good time and good haul of pecan wood.
Rich S.

:ices_rofl:

That's a great analogy. :laugh:

Back