I dare....no...double dare someone to.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I inherited a Wild Thing from my father when I bought my grandparents house. I've had it for at least 7 years, and I'm sure my Dad had it for a while before that (at least a couple years). She will vibrate the crap out of your hands, but it's always been reliable. Before I got my MS310, I used it to drop all kinds of trees with the super thin 18" bar that it came with (some large oak tops, black walnut, ash, elm, etc.).

I just cleaned her up over the weekend, modded the muffler, adjusted the trims, and found a brand new chain for the 18" bar, and she ate through a rail road tie in seconds. I plan on getting a short bar and using her for smalls. I wouldn't sell it, and like many have said, we've got our $150 out of it for sure.

BTW, the muffler mod was super easy, and I'm hoping i have it tuned right (she sounds good and I was able to get it to idle rather normal after some playing; first time tuning and MMing a saw).

EDIT: BTW, this saw was Never taken care of until I learned how to properly care for my saws, so the first 3-4 years of it's life it was used and abused, and Not cleaned up.

Last edited:
I have a crapsman i've been trying to break since almost new, Sailed it accross the woods, bounced it off trees, smoked the chains, threw it in mud holes, even threw it up at a limb and it got stuck, had to knock it down with a rock. And the darn thing still runs and is still a pos.

i wish i had a case of beer,,a good comfortable seat to see this happen,:cheers::)

My father has two of them. One was a factory refurb and the other was new. Constantly replacing fuel lines it seems because they only see occasional use at best. But at least one will always run. I have a friend that has one and laughs at me for having nice saws, because other than putting mix in it he does not take care of it and cant seem to kill it despite his lack of care and maintenance. I doubt they would hold up to steady use every day all day, but I guess for just being able to say you have a chainsaw they work.

me and one of my friends where hunting up in the forest he bought his plastic poulan and the smart guy forgot it up there. during our winter camping trip we fought like hell to get up there to see if it was there with no luck. we had to stop about five miles from the camp site because the snow was too deep (like four feet of powder and no snow shoes).
that summer we came back and the dam thing was still there!! had't moved an inch after a little coaxing it fired up with the oil gas in it!!

When I was a kid learning to cut, my grandpa gave me his Eager Beaver saw. I ran the guts out of it for years and being young and stupid I treated it terribly. I gave it back to him when I got older and he has it to this day, and it still fires right up. Some of those "cheap" saws cut wood just fine and run forever. Our woodstove never cared that I didn't cut the wood with a $500 pro saw...

i got a 42cc that was under water for more then a day, and would not turnover smooth $15 off the guys bill for it had it running the same day just a little rtv and 3 hours.. and i beat the piss out of that saw

Latest posts

Back