I do not like Ash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slvrmple72

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I don't know if it is because of my recent mishap but I have no confidence in the White Ash trees I am removing for a customer. They seem brittle and flimsy. I keep hearing what a fellow climber said to me and it keeps me going.." When in doubt, climb higher!" :buttkick:

I don't know if it is because of my recent mishap but I have no confidence in the White Ash trees I am removing for a customer. They seem brittle and flimsy. I keep hearing what a fellow climber said to me and it keeps me going.." When in doubt, climb higher!" :buttkick:

I've had my fair share of these buggers recently and don't much care for them either. Took a dead one down today and the dust was unbearable, still feel it in my eyes and throat if ya know what I mean. At least the wood is ready for burning.

I've had my fair share of these buggers recently and don't much care for them either. Took a dead one down today and the dust was unbearable, still feel it in my eyes and throat if ya know what I mean. At least the wood is ready for burning.

I had one cut down in my yard a couple years ago and treecutter said the same thing about the dust and chips. I wasnt near when it was cut and didnt understand.:dizzy: It did burn good though.

Ash is the best firewood in the world. You can cut it down and burn it the same day and get 90% of the BTU's. Amazing!! But watch out when their dead. VERY Brittle.

I do not like Ash when I need to climb it! Yes, it will split with one cross look and burns great even when green but I am taking down 19 trees and they are dead/dying and very unnerving to climb and rig down safely. Glad the homeowners cool with me bombing stuff!

I do not like Ash when I need to climb it! Yes, it will split with one cross look and burns great even when green but I am taking down 19 trees and they are dead/dying and very unnerving to climb and rig down safely. Glad the homeowners cool with me bombing stuff!

Yup, I have a big bad Ash in my back yard, I have spikeless deadwooded it twice and it's brittle to the point where if I took an uncontrolled swing who's knows if it would hold on. Just light powdery crap.

I agree, there is no happy medium when it comes to removing ash. You rarely come across a situation where you are comfortable spiking it, you never feel comfortable free climbing (I don't anyway), and it seems up in Maine when you come across one they are diseased. Obviously the disease is causing the issues but I agree ash, ehh...

I like to hear it's good for burning because where I work we do line clearance for the local power company and it seems in every couple of pole spans we come across an ash, usually I just grab big old oak for a family member next time I am going to give him a truckload of ash and see what he has for comments for me.

I only have problems with ash in decline, I find the brown rot runs through them very fast, along with rootrot where I have pulled a few over with my thowline.

"Ash to ashes they all fall down." I've heard this saying many times.

Last edited:
Heard any good Ash jokes lately?

Two certified arborists are looking at a sapling between an old beech, and an old birch, trying to figure out what the sapling is. The first fellow says, thats the son of a birch. The second guy says, son of a beech! This goes on. SON OF A BIRCH!!! NO!!! SON OF A BEECH!!!! Then Mr woodpecker flies up and lands on the sapling and starts peckin at it. The one guy says to the other, we'll let mr woodpecker decide. So they ask mr wp and he says , I dont know about you guys, but this feels like the best piece of ash ive stuck my pecker in all week.

What about, you dont know a (I know Im gonna butcher the spelling on this one) fraxinous from your own ash. Or, (not a ash one but its a tree joke) you know why they call it a moline elm? Because its more lean then it is more fat.

Latest posts

Back