I don't even need the ones I have, but... Which would you keep?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr3wcifer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I'm pretty new on here and, frankly, have more saws than I have any need for. I have an MS311 that's a few years old - the first saw I personally purchased/owned - that was mostly used for helping out my dad with dropping smaller trees and harvesting deadfall on state property back East. I've since moved and now live in suburbia, with no property of my own. Frankly, I have no need for a saw at all, but will be keeping at least one or two...

With that said, I've kind of gotten addicted to buying more. Dunno why, but I guess it's partly because the other people in the burbs sell good saws for almost nothing, since they're in the same boat I am and have no real need for one anymore. Currently I have the 311 which can't be more than 5 years old, a Husky 351 that's in pretty great condition, a really nice 268XP (with the older metal brake. I just like how they look better than the plastic), and a little Husky 240 that's older than I am and beat to hell. The 240 is currently torn down getting rebuilt, but I'l be keeping that regardless - it's just a neat little saw and I really don't NEED anything more than this, since my only real task currently is light limbing on the few trees I do have..

So if you had to choose just one to be your "all purpose" which would you go for?

Well, you already decided you are keeping the old 240 (SE?), so personally I would be inclined to keep it and the 268XP.
But, seeing as how the 311 was the first saw you bought for yourself- might be nice to keep it and the 240, I have no sentimental attachment to your saws and feel the 268 and 240 would look good together sitting on a shelf in your garage, but you can almost never buy back the first saw you owned.........

I don't need all the saws I have either. I don't burn wood anymore. But I can't seem to bring myself to sell one. I like them too much. Even though I don't use them much, I can still get them out and listen to them run once in a while. If you don't need the money I would just keep them and get them out and play with them once in a while.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Well, you already decided you are keeping the old 240 (SE?)
It's a 240S. But it's small and lacks any safety features, which is always cool by me. As far as keeping the 311, I don't think I really have any attachment to it, really. Probably more attached to the Stihl I started on that my dad still owns and runs.

Myself I would part with the 311 clamshell, keep the 351, 268xp and 240. Maybe replace the 311 with a MS260 or MS360.
I think I'd probably lean more towards keeping the 268xp over the 351. Although the 351 could be swapped out for a 346xp to make a decent overall saw, too, I guess.

Id buy more saws
Yeah, maybe I'll start buying/flipping them more regularly. Any saw I should aim for as the "best" overall saw for homeowner use?

@holeycow - I'm currently trying to get some property up in the mountains where having a decent saw or two on hand would be helpful. But I don't ever see myself needing more than a couple. I'm in the same boat with ammoaddict - don't really need the money and don't think I could bring myself to sell them all. More looking for "Which one that I currently own is the most versatile for light to moderate use, and worthy of keeping long-term"

I think I have four 240s/se sitting here inline to be restored. I have two 268’s. I’d keep these. I like the older 240 there good saws. I’ll never sell my personal saws again. The 240 pistons are cheap.

I think I have four 240s/se sitting here inline to be restored. I have two 268’s. I’d keep these. I like the older 240 there good saws. I’ll never sell my personal saws again. The 240 pistons are cheap.
Unrelated to the titled topic, but.. Any tips on where I should look for 240 pistons/cylinders? The one I currently have has light scoring on both the piston and cylinder on the exhaust side. Not terrible, but noticeable. I'm throwing a new ring on it to see how the compression is, but think it's probably going to need a full top end as the existing one degrades...

Yeah, maybe I'll start buying/flipping them more regularly. Any saw I should aim for as the "best" overall saw for homeowner use?

Best home owner saw is a 880 or 3120

[emoji16]

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

I'd just keep them all. :D

A thought though if you are likely to use then a fair bit in the future. I'm planning on keeping all my work saws on one type of chain, if possible. 3/8th .058 for mine, so once I've worn out the chains i have, i can buy 1 roll of chain and make up loops for all of them. Plus it reduces the chance of doing something dumb.

I'd just keep them all. :D

A thought though if you are likely to use then a fair bit in the future. I'm planning on keeping all my work saws on one type of chain, if possible. 3/8th .058 for mine, so once I've worn out the chains i have, i can buy 1 roll of chain and make up loops for all of them. Plus it reduces the chance of doing something dumb.

Im considering the same thing but in .063

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

So I'm pretty new on here and, frankly, have more saws than I have any need for. I have an MS311 that's a few years old - the first saw I personally purchased/owned - that was mostly used for helping out my dad with dropping smaller trees and harvesting deadfall on state property back East. I've since moved and now live in suburbia, with no property of my own. Frankly, I have no need for a saw at all, but will be keeping at least one or two...

With that said, I've kind of gotten addicted to buying more. Dunno why, but I guess it's partly because the other people in the burbs sell good saws for almost nothing, since they're in the same boat I am and have no real need for one anymore. Currently I have the 311 which can't be more than 5 years old, a Husky 351 that's in pretty great condition, a really nice 268XP (with the older metal brake. I just like how they look better than the plastic), and a little Husky 240 that's older than I am and beat to hell. The 240 is currently torn down getting rebuilt, but I'l be keeping that regardless - it's just a neat little saw and I really don't NEED anything more than this, since my only real task currently is light limbing on the few trees I do have..

So if you had to choose just one to be your "all purpose" which would you go for?
I’d go with the 351 and sell everything else since it’s pro grade and can pull a 20” bar if needed. Around here unless you are a lumberjack 20” is kind of the limit of what anyone would need. The 240 may be good if you ever need to cut that one out. The 311 will also still fetch a decent price since it’s relatively new.

@holeycow - I'm currently trying to get some property up in the mountains where having a decent saw or two on hand would be helpful. But I don't ever see myself needing more than a couple. I'm in the same boat with ammoaddict - don't really need the money and don't think I could bring myself to sell them all. More looking for "Which one that I currently own is the most versatile for light to moderate use, and worthy of keeping long-term"

that's not what you said to start with.. in that case just keep them all. Buy more! Be discerning and buy more!

Latest posts

Back