I feel badly - what would you all do?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chestand

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last weekend I sold an 028WB to a guy. It started up, ran fairly well and was all there. I sold it with the Stihl sharpening kit and the screwdriver/wrench too. $100. I've used the saw in the past and it performed well.
Today, he called me up and said it quit on him when he was using it. He hauled it off to a shop and they said it needed a new piston and cylinder and quoted him $300 to repair it. I'd previously looked in the exhaust port and noticed no scratching.
I offered his money back on it and he declined but said he just wanted me to know what happened. He then stated he was going to have to buy a new saw. He wasn't upset though.
The thought of ripping anyone off sickens me. I know it's how some people operate day to day but it's not how I operate. The saw was sold in as is condition, but should I offer to make it right for the guy? As I stated, he declined the money back offer and said there were no hard feelings, but I feel bad about the whole thing.
What would a new/good used piston and cylinder run me? I offered to have him bring it back to me and I would do the work on my own nickel.
The compression was good and I'm not totally convinced that the piston and cylinder is the issue. Sounds more like a condenser to me.
Anyway, I know I'm rambling. What would you all do?

How can you be sure he (or someone he let use it) didn't straight gas it? That is the most likely scenario for a good saw to go bad that fast, unless he leaned it up from day 1 and was running it WOT with no load for hours, or he was using a way too lean oil mix.

saw ??

tell him you woul like too repair at no charge an let him know how bad you feel. it is better to let him know your side of the coin:greenchainsaw:

You offered to make it right and he declined... so let it be.. **** does happen. is he going to fix the saw? If he is, throw him 50 back and tell him to put it towards the repairs if you feel that bad about it. I know the feeling.

I would tell him how you feel about it.

Tell him that you think the saw shop might be taking him for a ride and that you would like to look at the saw and verify that it is the P&C. if the cylinder is scored badly then you'll know that he (or someone) probably straight gassed it and you can sleep well at night knowing it wasn't your fault. If the cylinder looks good show it to him and tell him about his saw shop and offer to fix the saw yourself on your dime or buy the saw back from him for the same $100.00.

If he declines your offer then at least you tried to do the right thing and that is all you can do. If he does decline your offer I'd say he might know that there is more to the story than he is letting on, I would at least give you the chance to look at it and see if you could do something with it.

Either way you'll sleep better knowing you did the right thing.

You don't owe him anything. If it was me, though, I would try to give him half the money back. Sounds like you both realize that things happen. I had a wristpin circlip leave it's groove on a damned good saw one time. There is no kind of warning when that happens.

Not your fault.

If the saw was running well and had good compression I would tend to believe someone that didn't fully understand what they were doing started turning the carb screws. There's a reason RPMs should be set with a tach and not by ear. Takes no time at all to trash a good P&C running the saw too lean.

You've been a gentleman about the situation and offered to refund the money. He said no, there's truly no more you can do.

Take Care

Last weekend I sold an 028WB to a guy. It started up, ran fairly well and was all there. I sold it with the Stihl sharpening kit and the screwdriver/wrench too. $100. I've used the saw in the past and it performed well.
Today, he called me up and said it quit on him when he was using it. He hauled it off to a shop and they said it needed a new piston and cylinder and quoted him $300 to repair it. I'd previously looked in the exhaust port and noticed no scratching.
I offered his money back on it and he declined but said he just wanted me to know what happened. He then stated he was going to have to buy a new saw. He wasn't upset though.
The thought of ripping anyone off sickens me. I know it's how some people operate day to day but it's not how I operate. The saw was sold in as is condition, but should I offer to make it right for the guy? As I stated, he declined the money back offer and said there were no hard feelings, but I feel bad about the whole thing.
What would a new/good used piston and cylinder run me? I offered to have him bring it back to me and I would do the work on my own nickel.
The compression was good and I'm not totally convinced that the piston and cylinder is the issue. Sounds more like a condenser to me.
Anyway, I know I'm rambling. What would you all do?

Welcome to the AS! :biggrinbounce2:

You have no control over what happened to the saw after you sold it, so just forget it.......

The others are right about you not having any control over what happens, etc, but kudos to you for caring about it.

The chances are you sold a good saw and he damaged it by either abuse or by incorrectly fuelling it. He maybe had some old fuel lying around that was contaminated with water or something and doesn’t even know. I understand that you feel bad and I’m exactly the same, but you shouldn’t lose out.

I agree that the dealer’s diagnosis could well be wrong and I’d call him and ask to have the saw back and try and come to some agreement that you are both happy with that way.

If that fails, for peace of mind, I’d go with the other suggestions and give him $50 back and consider the matter closed.

You don't owe him a friggin' thing. Once money changed hands and he left your property with said saw... it's all on him.

He could have been the one to ruin the saw, you don't know that. Just forget about it. I was thinkin' it actually took a lot of balls on his part to call you back and "let you know what happened"...

Too bad, too sad. You did nothing wrong.

Gary

Thanks for your opinions, friends

I do appreciate you guys postings about this.
I'm going to call him and offer to look the saw over myself and if the P&C is bad, come to some agreement and fix it myself.
My cash situation is a little thin right now, but I would have gladly refunded the money just to get a good night's sleep.
Two questions though:
1. If it is the P&C, does anyone have a good used example they'd be willing to part with and what would I be looking at $ wise?
2. If it's the condenser (which I think it is - this saw has points), what would be a direction you all could point me in to get an electronic alternative for the points/condenser - again for not a huge amount of money?

My Grandpa told me a long time ago to treat others as you'd wish to be treated. The advice has served me again and again.
Thanks again guys

It's great you want to make it right but I have to agree with the others. You have no way of knowing what happened to that saw after it left your hands. In cases like these it's either all or nothing for me. Either I take it back for the same amount or it's all his to repair. If you give him $50 you are accepting partial responsibility for a problem you had zero liability for. Not good, not good at all.

You've offered to do him right and he declined to accept what would be an extemely generous offer in the commercial world.

If he's a buddy, things get way different. I try to never sell anything to friends or relatives. If I can afford to give it to them I will otherwise I'd rather help them get a new "wahtever" they are looking for. I've seen too many friendships go sour over expensive merchandise sold amongst them.

Once again, you should sleep well tonight knowing you tried to give the guy an out. There are people out there that look for guys like you to buy from. I'm not saying this fellow is like that but beware or you'll end up on the losing end everytime.

Last edited:
I'm with Gary... sorta

You are like most if not all of the regulars on AS, honest and careing. I would feel the same way if in your position. Fact is though that we can all speculate till the cows come home what happened, the only information we have is what he says the dealer said. As Gary said, if it worked when he left with it, it's his problem. If it will make you feel better though you can send me $50. JR

I think it was very generous / decent of you to offer him his money back.
You got to be nuts to offer to fix it for him on your dime!!
Just offer again to refund his money and if he doesn't take it forget it.
If he takes it..then get the saw and give it a go-over yourself.
At worst..the parts alone are worth $100 on ebay.

The part I really don't like is him telling you he now has to buy a NEW saw.
WTF?? No..he doesn't!! He doesn't HAVE to do or buy anything!!
He can buy a new saw if he chooses or buy another used one or do nothing.
I think you have met him more than 'halfway' on this deal.
I DO really respect you for caring about the sale but offering him his money back is enough..imho

Yup, Nice generous offer. Prolly sad to say new saw owner you got there. Straight gas, old gas, maybe played with carb. Prolly walk away now, sorry.

For the new owner of a now junk saw...:deadhorse:

Back