I Finally Finished a BIG Job!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is in December, and WOW it's in the 60's outside! BUT, i'm NOT complaining!

Today was a good time to get started moving my BSM to it's NEW home!! So i drove the tractor over to the mill, and picked it up and walked it slooooowly to it's new home!

standard.jpg

I don't have the cement floor done, but i really don't need it right now anyway...

standard.jpg

I'm so glad to have this project winding down! Now, when i feel like it, i will mill some sideing and shelf material.

standard.jpg

Looks pretty good in there to me! It's all leveled up and ready to go!

SR

Rob,

Glad you got the mill moved ok. One wrong move and you'd have turned that frame into a pretzel (I know they're strong, but that grapple has quite a grip). It's gotta be at least 20'? Enjoy the weather while you can!

Awesome thread, great pictures! I love seeing progress, and the stiffer my back gets the more I appreciate everybody else's =) All that feeling of reward from watching it start to finish and none of the back ache, it's a total win!

A couple more ideas to think of......hurricane ties...even if you make them out of steel banding yourself. They could help keep the roof from sailing off.
You were wondering about rust on the steel panels....consider asphalt mobile home roof coating. If you warm it up a little it goes on quick and easy.The verion I used has aluminum pigment in it.
You might not have a zoneing issue where you are.....but in my area ,if you put down concrete its no longer a pole barn...and requires
permits, inspections and all that hassle. I used crusher-run on the floor of my outbuilding...its cheep,fast and the powder settles into the stone.

Looking real good. Would look better with 2 feet of sawdust around it.

Ordering those forks and grab tomorrow because I can't stand looking at the pictures in this tread any longer and lamenting I can't afford such a log pickerupper setup.

It's mince on toast for the next month or two, but I need to lose weight anyhow.

P.S. any bracing needed the other way (front to back) and any needed across the rafters?

Last edited:
Looking real good. Would look better with 2 feet of sawdust around it.

I agree... way too clean looking. You going to cut some siding pretty soon? Here in rural southwest Missouri there aren't any building codes (yet). If you're dumb enough to build something that falls down, that's your problem.

Last edited:
When you build the back half (for storeing wood to dry) I am thinking that 2-4 steel cables in an x fashion will allow you to tie the roof sills together real
well, (or steel rod with turnbuckles,as used on telephone poles) .
Youre title says "finished a big job". Thats funny. I built my own home 20+ years ago.
I'm still not finished.:msp_smile: you'll see!!

Hi Guys, glad you liked the latest picts.. I'll try to answer your questions and comments...

mrnesteve,

The roof is tied down with 2x4 nailers on the rafters, i do have a few more to cut and nail in...

I've used that silver roof coating in the past, that's what i had in mind to use this time too. I want to wire brush the rust a bit first, and i'm not going to do anything to it until next summer.

I didn't have to get a bld. permit for this, as it's agriculture related and i have a farm. Putting cement in it won't be a problem either...

kiwi,

You are going to love the forks and grapple! Put the hydraulic valve out there to run it! It sure is handy, for thousands of jobs!

The rafters have top braceing and there's NO way they can "rack" in either direction. I will put some short Y braceing on the poles at the top, but that's it...

Dave,

If i start milling in there, then i'll have to shovel the sawdust out next spring to put the concrete in!! lol

I always say i'm NOT going to mill in the cold weather, but after a while i just miss it so much i go out, load a log and get after it! lol I have several things i want to do on it yet...

Here's another pict.,

standard.jpg

I can mill a 21' 6" log now, and as you can see, i made the door wide enough so i can add a few more feet if i want...

Thanks again guys!

SR

When you build the back half (for storeing wood to dry) I am thinking that 2-4 steel cables in an x fashion will allow you to tie the roof sills together real
well, (or steel rod with turnbuckles,as used on telephone poles) .
Youre title says "finished a big job". Thats funny. I built my own home 20+ years ago.
I'm still not finished.:msp_smile: you'll see!!

When i started this thread, the "big job" was the 2 yr long milling job i did for a customer friend. (a 150 plus foot porch) That's the "big job" i was refering to. lol Then i just kept adding to the thread to get here...

Anyway, i already have plans for "the other half" of the bld., but i need to see how my health is next summer before i commit to it.

SR

OK guys,

We've only had one snow and now this week it will be in the 50's!! Well, that's OK with me, and it won't be long now, before i roll a log onto my mill and try it out in it's new home!!

standard.jpg

SR

OK guys,

We've only had one snow and now this week it will be in the 50's!! Well, that's OK with me, and it won't be long now, before i roll a log onto my mill and try it out in it's new home!!

SR

So have you've got the concrete pad poured yet, or will you be shoveling sawdust? Nice wagon. Ever think about putting ski runners on it for the snow?

I was reading on the fire wood forum last night and they said if the load was not stacked straight your not getting your moneys worth .Those look like some nice logs though .

SR, I've been following this thread from the start and just wanted to jump in and say it has been fun watching you build the shed. Looking good! I'm guessing that with a roof overhead you'll find yourself milling in the winter more often.

Mr. HE:cool:

Dave,

NO cement yet, i'm going to wait on cement until next summer. I'm just going to put a tarp down to catch what sawdust i make this winter. And, we have so little snow anymore, ski's would be usless 99.9% of the time, especially with the kind of traction my tractor has.

John,

Those are my logs and they were FREE, so i'm pretty sure i'm getting my moneys worth out of them! lol

Mr. He,

I just mill on nice days anymore, no need to work myself out of a job! :) Maybe later this week i'll mill a log or two??

Thanks guys, glad you like the thread!

SR

Just found this thread. Looks like fun, err work Rob!
I would like to have that setup some day. Quite nice. Sure is nice not to have to buy lumber huh!

Tjbier, you are right, it sure is nice to live in an area that has great woodlots with enough tree's to use for our building projects!

We had some warm weather, but it rained quite a bit and i didn't want to run the tractor and rut everything up around the mill sight and roads. SO, i didn't run the mill in it's new house...

I thought i'd post a few more winter logging picts, even we no longer have that snow! This has been a very mild winter!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I'll do some milling when it dries up and we get a nice sunny day!

SR

Latest posts

Back