I get to top a tree...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the ultimate "sin of my industry" was spiking trees. You should do your research. 'Or maybe don't drink so much Red Bull; you seem kind of excited.
Phil

I thought the ultimate "sin of my industry" was spiking trees. You should do your research. 'Or maybe don't drink so much Red Bull; you seem kind of excited.
Phil
:hmm3grin2orange:
Coffee, no Red Bull.............yet
Spiking, IMO, is second, only too topping.
Ill lay off the juice!

This is ArboristSite right?
If y'all wanna argue with us about topping tree's.
Then why are you here?
Too piss us off I guess.
If you top, you suck. PERIOD.
You need to go to HackerSite.Com and leave this site, because, really! you don't belong here!
You guys talk about how your making money while we, who don't top are sitting on the sidelines watching you "laugh all the way to the bank" you say,Get real,they choose topping because they obviously cant afford a pro, so that is why they hire you. I have many, MANY things to stress about, but a few things I NEVER stress about are, my money, my reputation, and my conscience. All the little stars under your names don't mean jacks#@t
when you do the ultimate sin of my industry, get out and go away, so the real Arborist can keep learning more about how to care for tree's, not murder them. Remember, It does not matter the justification that you make up.
IF YOU TOP, YOU SUCK
end of story

:rant:
:agree2:

Then why are you here?
Too piss us off I guess.
(yep, pretty much...)

You need to go to HackerSite.Com and leave this site, because, really! you don't belong here!
(they don't talk about trees there)

You guys talk about how your making money while we, who don't top are sitting on the sidelines watching you "laugh all the way to the bank" you say,Get real,they choose topping because they obviously cant afford a pro, so that is why they hire you.
(no, they want a person that will give them what they want and not get their panties in a wad when asked to do it....)

I have many, MANY things to stress about, but a few things I NEVER stress about are, my money, my reputation, and my conscience.
(same here bud.....)

All the little stars under your names don't mean jacks#@t
(you're right, they don't....)

when you do the ultimate sin of my industry, get out and go away, so the real Arborist can keep learning more about how to care for tree's, not murder them. Remember, It does not matter the justification that you make up.
IF YOU CROWN REDUCE, YOU SUCK
end of story
:hmm3grin2orange: DON'T HATE, PARTICIPATE.....

At the risk of sounding stupid I must ask, what is a big shot? I'm mostly a stump guy so I don't know all the arborist terms.
I will also add that topped trees are ugly no matter how uniform they have been cut. Just my opinion.

at the risk of sounding stupid i must ask, what is a big shot? I'm mostly a stump guy so i don't know all the arborist terms.
I will also add that topped trees are ugly no matter how uniform they have been cut. Just my opinion.
Big Shot

Big Shot Line Launcher

The easiest way to get your line into the tree, this line launcher works like a giant slingshot to launch lines up to 100 feet. Can be used with a standard throw weight and throw line system, or with the specially designed bullet weights on this page. The big shot is equally popular with arborists, competition climbers, and recreational tree climbers. Being able to put your throw bal and line through the target crotch with precision and speed is definitively worth the investment.

OR

Last edited:
Then why are you here?
Too piss us off I guess.
You guys talk about how your making money while we, who don't top are sitting on the sidelines watching you "laugh all the way to the bank" you say,Get real,they choose topping because they obviously cant afford a pro, so that is why they hire you. I have many, MANY things to stress about, but a few things I NEVER stress about are, my money, my reputation, and my conscience. All the little stars under your names don't mean jacks#@t
IF YOU TOP, YOU SUCK
end of story

Great post, but rather than have them go to hackersite.com and continue topping, I'd really rather they stay here and STOP TOPPING.

I know I'm dreamin....but the best we can do is stay the course, and let the (mostly) old timers who'll top at request go the way of the dinosaur.

It is troubling to see a young guy like mattfr12 taking up the "If I don't top it for pay, someone will" mantle, tho. Hopefully he's not an old dog yet, and he can still learn a new trick.

I wonder how many homeowners would realize how bad topping is if even 4 out of 5 bidders refused to do substandard (hack) work.

Another way to deter homeowners who ask for topping is to make a recommendation for quality work, give the price, then a removal price, then a topping price that's 175-200% of the removal price.

"Why so much to top it?" they ask.

"Don't you think ruining your tree and my reputation should be worth that much?"

Another way to deter homeowners who ask for topping is to make a recommendation for quality work, give the price, then a removal price, then a topping price that's 175-200% of the removal price.

"Why so much to top it?" they ask.

"Don't you think ruining your tree and my reputation should be worth that much?"

Quick question, while playing devil's advocate. What if the customer says ok, top it? Do you then renig your end of the deal? Seems to me my word has got to be worth more than any reputation I may or may not have.

Again, just a curious question. I, personally, took an oath to protect and provide for my wife. While I haven't topped a tree, if it's not immoral, or illegal, it gets done to put food on the table. Again, I'm not a hack topper, I never have topped. But like someone else said, McDonalds is always hiring, and I'm not above any job.

Just thinking out loud...

Quick question, while playing devil's advocate. What if the customer says ok, top it? Do you then renig your end of the deal? Seems to me my word has got to be worth more than any reputation I may or may not have.

Again, just a curious question. I, personally, took an oath to protect and provide for my wife. While I haven't topped a tree, if it's not immoral, or illegal, it gets done to put food on the table. Again, I'm not a hack topper, I never have topped. But like someone else said, McDonalds is always hiring, and I'm not above any job.

Just thinking out loud...

I've yet to find anyone who was willing to pay 2x removal price to still have a hacked up future hazard.

If someone were to agree to it, the terms of the contract would make them think a third time. If they still wanted it topped and signed the contract, I'd sub it out and move on.

But I'm 99% sure that by that point they have found someone who'd hack it for far, far, less.

I've yet to find anyone who was willing to pay 2x removal price to still have a hacked up future hazard.

If someone were to agree to it, the terms of the contract would make them think a third time. If they still wanted it topped and signed the contract, I'd sub it out and move on.

But I'm 99% sure that by that point they have found someone who'd hack it for far, far, less.

I totally agree with you. However, we do live in the US, where stupid, ignorant people are everywhere. Just think of all the dumb things that have been suggested and said here on AS alone, let alone out side of here. lol

I like the idea of walking from a customer. I've had more than one call me back once they met the other guys. I try and be as professional and honest as I can, hence the questions.

Thanks for the speedy replies gentlemen.

God Bless

Big Shot

Big Shot Line Launcher

The easiest way to get your line into the tree, this line launcher works like a giant slingshot to launch lines up to 100 feet. Can be used with a standard throw weight and throw line system, or with the specially designed bullet weights on this page. The big shot is equally popular with arborists, competition climbers, and recreational tree climbers. Being able to put your throw bal and line through the target crotch with precision and speed is definitively worth the investment.

OR

Thanks for that info. Especially the Donald Trump part. funny

you won't do it but you'll sub it out, classic.......

For those who consider topping from time to time as a way of keeping busy, realise that your approach only looks at the short term and asks 'do I want this job today?'
Another approach is to consider 'what type of business do I want to run?' One that has no real standards. Or one that I am proud of, knowing I run it honorably. With the first, you're forever stuck in the day to day scrounging of more work just to get by. With the later, you operate on another level where most things plaguing the scrounger are insignificant.
And, the type of work you do- good tree work or destructive tree work- really has nothing to do with your money situation, or your bills, or that your just trying to keep guys busy or blah blah blah.

Then why are you here?
Too piss us off I guess.
IF YOU TOP, YOU SUCK
end of story

Whats wrong with murdering trees? Thats all I do.
You havent been here very long to be telling people that they dont belong here. . . .

Back