I got a nice load of locust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AIM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Wife and I went cutting yesterday. I pulled into the woods and stopped to get out and find my targets and lo and behold not 50' from where I parked was a nice big dead locust.:clap:
The funny thing is that I have parked there several times and I have cut a half a dozen trees within 50' of this thing and never saw it before.
It had a mess of vines hanging on to it so I had to cut it off then pull it down with my truck but what a great score.
The bark was pretty bad so most of the thorns knocked right off.
I wish I could go cut today but my other hobby (RC planes) is gonna tie me up with a club meeting.:(

nice i have been cutting on a dozer pile of locust been piled for two years. thats tough cutting :chainsaw: i keep hitting a dirt ball of roots not good on saw lol.great burning tho nice score. larry

It's not the wood I cut yesterday but does anybody have a clue as to what this is.
ry%3D400

There is a ton of it in the woods that I cut in. No bark. Very black on the outside. This pic isn't very red but normally the inside is a pretty dark orange almost red throughout. No color difference between sap and heartwood. Burns hotter than ever.

Wife and I went cutting yesterday. I pulled into the woods and stopped to get out and find my targets and lo and behold not 50' from where I parked was a nice big dead locust.:clap:
The funny thing is that I have parked there several times and I have cut a half a dozen trees within 50' of this thing and never saw it before.
It had a mess of vines hanging on to it so I had to cut it off then pull it down with my truck but what a great score.
The bark was pretty bad so most of the thorns knocked right off.
I wish I could go cut today but my other hobby (RC planes) is gonna tie me up with a club meeting.:(

Ah. Screw the rc planes for now. It's not spring yet. I'll have to start building and dusting mine off soon too. BTW. What do you fly. Ever heard of the Profile Brotherhood?

aim looks like you got some red elm is it stringy when you split it? and hard to split? larry

Last edited:
Ah. Screw the rc planes for now. It's not spring yet. I'll have to start building and dusting mine off soon too. BTW. What do you fly. Ever heard of the Profile Brotherhood?

I'm the president of my club so I probably oughtta go to the meetings.:cry: At least I can drink beer while doing it:clap: :givebeer:

I mainly fly combat.
4cut.jpg

Pa028888.jpg

Looks like some really good seasoned locust to me.

That looks exactly like what we call honey locust here and It is good wood I burn it when ever I can find it. It has sort of the same color of our elm but the growth rings are a lot tighter just like in your pic! It is hard to compare wood from diff parts of the country, the elm here in NE for instance looks alot diff than the elm at home in MO.
:greenchainsaw:

Dolmar 6400
Jonsered 2050
Husky 450
Dolmar 5100

It's not the wood I cut yesterday but does anybody have a clue as to what this is.
ry%3D400

There is a ton of it in the woods that I cut in. No bark. Very black on the outside. This pic isn't very red but normally the inside is a pretty dark orange almost red throughout. No color difference between sap and heartwood. Burns hotter than ever.

Maybe the color is off on our monitor, but that looks like seasoned Black Locust to me. Not super heavy, but burns for a very long time.

ry%3D400

Definitely American beech. I just split a bunch of it today.

http://www.hubbardbrook.org/w6_tour/tree-stop/beech/beechsapx.jpg

Just looking at the end and the rings and drying split, I would say lodgepole pine two years standing.

Sure looks like a lot of the stuff I have been asked to take down. First order from the farmer is to get them away from the fence line. He will take care of the branches. Once I get all that cleaned up then he has a lot more for me to take are of. Then there is his sons land. His son has given me permission to clear, what little of poplar there is, his land before the Cat comes in.

Glenn

Back