I got a project saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm thinking this is the way to go. More then what I need and under the allowed budget. I'll sleep on it and order tomorrow it if still looks good in my cart.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JEMQ3PU/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UERIWLHRDST1

For those new to small engines -- I watch YouTube:donyboy32, and it is amazing how easy and cheap resurrecting an old saw can be. When my neighbor made a comment about this 350 being about done, I grabbed it and made some cuts with it. I told him when he is truly done with it, let me have a go at it. He didn't hesitate and become my project with about a moments delay.
For ten dollars more you can have a genuine OEM 44.3mm 346 top end. It will out-cut and out last that aftermarket kit.

I just called my local Husky Dealer, and $115 for the cylinder kit and $82 for the piston kit. I don't know the details of either of those "kits", but at those prices it is going in the wrong direction and fast.

That entire package in my Amazon Cart is looking real nice. :)

I just called my local Husky Dealer, and $115 for the cylinder kit and $82 for the piston kit. I don't know the details of either of those "kits", but at those prices it is going in the wrong direction and fast.

Must be another one of those shops that doesn't rebuild saws. :)

The cylinder kit is complete and includes the piston, bearing, clips and pin. Only thing it doesn't include is the base gasket.

The first link is a copy of the early 44mm 350 cyl. The second is a copy of your later 45mm 350. You would be better off to clean up your cyl than buying either. Listen to these experts. There is no reason to consider anything but the oem 346 since it costs about the same.

I like donnyboy's vids. Have a look at the afleetcommand vids. If I'm not mistaken Spike60 is is the shop owner featured in many of them?

Call Bob at Ashokan turf and timber. Screw that junky aftermarket stuff. Put aftermarket parts on it and it might work. If you're lucky it might last a year or more. If you're really lucky it won't be a total turd. Throw a 346 top end on it and it'll perform a lot better than when it was new. Pretty easy choice if you ask me...

I know all about working within a budget. Piston or kit? Let us know how it turns out.

If it was my saw or not so old, OEM prices would be fine. This saw was at 50%, and the owner will be happy with 75%. I expect 90% or better. And 4 to 5 years cutting 4 to 5 cords is a win. Parts have been shipped, and should arrive by mid next week. A missing muffler bolt has been found so it should be running next Thursday or Friday.

Getting tempted to rebuild my ms290. Why? Just Because!!!

A 49mm kit (vs the original 46mm) for under $50 would upgrade the saw to a ms390. And it comes with all the normal tuneup parts one does periodically. O'boy, the possibilities and compared to a muffler mod, porting, etc. almost a plug and play power increase.

A good winter project?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0195AU78K/ref=psdc_9425918011_t3_B00UFEQ12C

The parts are to arrive today. I will have it put back together likely the day after. I plan to take a compression test reading once it is all together, then run a tank of gas and then retest the compression. ? What readings should I expect from the new assembled saw vs the 1 tank of gas saw? 10%, 20% increase? And how many tanks of gas before the optimal/highest compression should be measured? I'm thinking one tank of gas should fully seat the rings and smooth out any slight imperfections in the cylinder/piston castings.

Yeah, I'm curious on the quality as well. I plan to look everything over carefully, and pull out the calipers and make lots of comparison measurements. I will oil and wipe good all parts and assemble and run it lightly and let it cool several times during my 1 tank breakin period.

Back