I got chipmunks and declaired war!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a T shirt the other day that had the cutest picture of a baby seal with the words "Let's go clubbing" under it. I think someone here might have an avatar with that pic.

My brother has the best non-politically correct shirt... On the front: "Earth First"... on the back: "We'll log the other planets later."

What you need is a ringer. A good old fashion maine coon cat about 18 lbs and 30" of pure rodent hatred. Preferably a specimen with one eye, half an ear missing and a tail that looks like it's been through a chipper. Give it an eye patch if you can't find one missing an eye. Females are the best. Once a month they get REALLY angry. If you could combine that cat with the previously describe "bird cage training technique", well, you have turned the tables on those little bastards.

If you can't find where the food is coming from zip a couple of them and perform on autopsy. Check the check pouches and stomach contents. If they're driving you that nuts it is not a crazy idea.

I may have them gone

Well It has been quiet in the attic crawl space for a while now, I killed 26 of them in various methods. I found where they were getting in and sealed it up with alm flasthing and steelwool, thank you for ideas and the creativity this summer I am going to try the 5 gal bucket methon and we will be getting a barn cat as well. thank you all

I agree that a jack russell or any sort of small working terrier would be the most effective long term deterent. However they may dig a hole to china to get at them!

For all practical purposes a good pellet gun would be the most effective tool over time. The crossman/Benjamin Marauder .22 cal with scope will reliably hit a nickel out to 50-60 yards. Because they are a "pre-charged pnuematic (PCP)" gun, they are extremly quiet and poweful and IMO easier to shoot accurately out to these distances. They cost about $400.

That being said, no matter what you do, I don't think you'll ever get rid of all of them. Chipmunks are usually harmless in small quantities, but can be destructive if the population gets out of control.

One more thought, just make sure you don't run afoul of any local or state laws regarding chipmunk control. Also for shooting pellet guns around town. Some states have laws about this.

Bucket-of-death

My brother-in-law has a chipmunk problem occasionally. He mentioned that he had read, and then tried the bucket of death. He took a 5 gallon sheetrock/paint/home depot 5 gallon pail and puts water in the bottom of it about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way full. Then he runs a plank up to it - so the rodents have a way to get up and peer over the side. On the water he puts a handful of sunflower seeds (the black oil sunflower kind). The chipmunks will use the plank to get up there, lean over and try to get the seeds and fall in. With no access out and no ability to tread water over a sustained period of time - they drown.

Hi there polkat you said they were in your crawl space have you ever tried one of these .
View attachment 124356

This is only a small jill but they come alot bigger and believe me they ll drive them out you ll need to put a tracking collar on it .Stick it in the crawl space and stand at an exit point where your chipmunks are gettin in with a square mouth shovel .It ll be like that game you get at the amusement parks where you have to whack gofers ,make it a family affair get the kids to join in just watch you don't hit the one doing the flushing out :):) GREAT FUN and very satisfying pay back and all that..

Back