I got chipmunks and declaired war!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another thing you can try is a water trap take a 5 gallon pale with 8 in of water and suspend a treat above just out of reach so they fall in and drowned. careful with this one though if not planned rite you could just end up feeding them

thats a new one on me I may give that a try anything extra in the arsonal will help

I live in a large old farmhouse and we had an INFESTATION of field mice a few years ago. Cat couldn't keep up. Glue traps weren't enough. Rat poison worked like a charm!

We used the stuff from Lowes/Walmart in block form and the trays of pellets. They were placed everywhere we had seen or heard mice and in a couple places where we suspected a nesting area (or an opening to a nesting area). In less than a week, we neither saw nor heard them anymore. Some places developed that salty-sweet smell of decaying rodent for about 7-14 days, but it was worth it to be rid of them.

We suspect they had entered through the bay door of the garage, which had part of its rubber foam sealing strip gone, leaving a place for entry. The door was repaired and we keep two trays of rat pellets strategically placed in the garage before the entry to the house. Someone left the garage door open overnight last summer and something came in and ate a little poison, but we don't have any signs of rodents in the house.

Of course, follow the precautions on the package w/regard to pets and small children.

Hell it's an easy fix. Take a cast iron skillet, set it on wooden blocks to keep it from grounding. Cut an extension cord it half, wire the hot wire to the handle of the skillet, take the ground wire and wrap around a screw driver handle and stick in the ground, or you can up the amperage by putting in a pigtail with a light socket and very the killing amperage with using different wattage light bulbs the higher the wattage the higher the amperage. Put your bait in the skillet. It works great on stray dogs, it'll fry them in their tracks, possums as well.

Originally Posted by treeslayer
No poison!!! not in a residential setting.

gotta get some mean pu$$y!... my ex wife come to mind, and she's got friends...................

My wife read this and spit coffee half way across the room,lol I think we all have known some of these in life, four legged as well as two legged.

Chipmunks or squirrels? I have a lot of experience with squirrels.

It takes a pretty good cat to go after squirrels. The best cats I have found have been small Manx cats. Look for their short deformed tail. Manx aren't very sociable but they are all business.

I will let you in on a little secret I use for getting Eastern Grey squirrels.

Go to the pet store, get a couple of rats. Put them in a wire cage (make one of 1/2" mesh and baling wire) and put them out in the yard. Get your pellet gun. Every squirrel on your place will be in sight of the trap. Shoot from a window, wait 5 minutes, shoot again. Use a good pellet gun and take them in the front shoulder. I use an RWS Model 48 .177 @ 1100 fps with a 4x scope. I have never had one walk. I get about 60-70 a year.

And here's another idea that works good. Go to http://www.western-rivers.com/downloads.html and download the squirrel in distress mp3. Burn it to a cd. Put your boombox outside and hit play. A remote is good if you have it. Get your pellet gun ready.

Whatever you do, don't do the crow call. :)

Ugh... Dang rats with cute tails. I have a bunch here too. my neighbor relocates them to other parts of town with live traps.

I have a nice :jawdrop:
pellet gun(merry x-mas to me last year from me) lol. Good luck on those little critters
Do you have a young one that might want to kill them all with the proper tools? At 12 I'm pretty sure I could have wiped out a squirrel problem with a good sling shot or pellet gun with my parents blessing. We used to have starlings in the wild cherry trees... Then I got a Ruger 10/22...:chainsaw:

Destruction with praise:clap:

Good luck man rodents suck.

Bill

get some small plastic jugs like the kind the driveway salt comes in and drill holes in it all over it then put mothballs in it and close it up throw a few of them under the house and everything will haul ass been there done that as they say

Too late for you?

I had a problem with squirrels at my old shop i lived beside a hazlnut orchard and if monks are any thing like them good luck it will be war and will take you a long time to get rid of them but heres what i did it took me almost a year .
Keep doing what you have been doing
Get a couple cats they will do the ground patrol
Place large smooth plastic disks around any overhead wires leading to your house as they use thse for hiways
Use thin aluminum to cover any holes they are using for access and sttretch it several inches beyound the hole
Make sure all flashing and cornar trim are tightly fittted
Paint any maisonry with marine enamal it fills the pours in the concrete so there claws dont grip it stops them from climbing it
Remove any trees within about 15 feet of your house or atleast the branches if the trees are anywhere closer they will walk out on the branch flex it down and then jump
Industrial rat poisen not the cheap crap u buy at a hardware store go to a farm feed store i used the little blocks they are abou 1.5 in square and have a hole in them so you can run a string through them and stapple gun them to the inside walls of the attic
Think about resideing the bottom 5 feet of your house with somthing really smooth i endedup residing the whole shop with steel roofing.
And for fun frozen paint balls will snap there backs i found pellet guns would wound them but not kill them
I killed hundreds over 8 years with frozen paintballs just watch the neighbours houses i had to sneak over the fence a couple times with a scrub brush and bucket
If i had a tree or ground shot and didnt have to worry about stray arrows i would use my compound bow it would nail them to the tree
And keep up exterior inspections the bastards chew and will make new ways in
I would try to catch them outside before i made any repairs you dont want to box them in. if you find a hole where they are getting in its easy to wait with a paintball gun just dont shoot till they are a foot away from the hole so they dont run back in
If you arre not persistant with everything they will win

Good luck i doubt your infestation was as bad as mine we counted 18 grey squirrels in my back yard at on time not to mention the ones i couldnt see
If you rent tell the landlord to deal with it or justmove or it will make you crazy

It is quite clear from your precisely formulated battle plan, that you didn't discover the solution until well after the little bass tards had driven you crazy. :dizzy:

To Polkat, as a solution I offer the following marketing strategy -

Chipmunk - The other white meat!

All right you want a cat!

OK I re-read your post and I can see you want a cat.
Here's a three step solution -

Step 1.
Get one of these. De-sex it. It looks cute and cuddly now but trust me, you don't want it to breed after step 2.
attachment.php

Step 2.
As mentioned already by several cat proponents you will want it to be wild. To achieve this you need a birdcage just a little bigger than the cat with a removable lid. Put the cat in the birdcage and replace the lid - padlocking it securely in place. Now get a hose and squirt the cat until it's angry enough to tear the cage apart with it's bare claws.

Step 3.
Run and lock yourself inside.

The cat will now be 'wild' enough to kill everything with a heartbeat for miles. After about a day notify emergency services and tell them to bring body armor.

Ugh... Dang rats with cute tails. I have a bunch here too. my neighbor relocates them to other parts of town with live traps.

Bill

A friend of mine was doing this but suspected that rodents were returning so they spray painted their backs before releasing them. It turns out that although they were being release 1-2 miles away (drven there by car) they were indeed returning!

If the idea of a sporting chance appeals to you- Ruger Mk II, don't wear your glasses, a little less sporting- bolt action .410, in a hurry- Mossberg 590 with # 4 shot.

Get a pellet rifle, loin cloth, and a Bowie knife about as long as your middle finger. Show them no mercy and take scalps. The scalps will be tied either to your war pony or the loin cloth.

Scottish terriers HATE chipmunks and have a pathological desire to hunt them, so get one addicted to drugs, and tell him chipmunks sell crack. :hmm3grin2orange:

It will be on like Donkey Kong.

PETA???? Sure, I'd love to talk.

I saw a T shirt the other day that had the cutest picture of a baby seal with the words "Let's go clubbing" under it. I think someone here might have an avatar with that pic.

Latest posts

Back