I got the boot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
This is why you should wear good boots when splitting firewood. My favorite Ariat boots too. Dang it!
Dropped a small piece of split wood from my splitter rail to the ground. About 1 1/2 feet.
24wugye.jpg

Wyatt183728

Wyatt183728

ArboristSite Member
You are right about splitting with good boots. When I first got into splitting wood I thought it was a good idea to wear sandals. So, a large log fell off the splitting surface and landed right on my big toe. My toenail was purple for a month after. Another time more recently I had some chainsaw kickback that got the side of my boot. Only grazed it, but a good lesson. Sorry about the boot, I know how that feels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I've started to use my log splitter in the vertical position only. Falling log pieces, that I have to bend over and pick up, are extra work I'd rather not do. Falling pieces not doing injury is a bonus.

I find it harder to go vertical. because I'm bent over all the time. I like the horizontal better.
It's hard to believe a single piece of firewood would tear the leather like that. Must have had a sharp edge on it.

user 122190
I usually have large rounds to split, and one is a seat while the others are in reach. I can take a seat for 15 to 20 minutes til I have to move rounds closer.

I find it harder to go vertical. because I'm bent over all the time. I like the horizontal better.
It's hard to believe a single piece of firewood would tear the leather like that. Must have had a sharp edge on it.

ETpilot

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
I like to split with splitter in horizontal position. I, too, have had splits drop on my side close to my feet. I made an outfeed table to help with splitting. Now I think I need to make a small infeed table to help keep splits from dropping on my side.

ETpilot

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
The rounds I've been splitting lately are too heavy to lift. So I have to split in a two-step process. Go vertical to quarter the rounds. Then go horizontal to split. I'm also thinking of a winch lift to pull and lift the rounds into position. Maybe I can work on it this winter. For now I lift most of my quartered rounds using my homemade hookaroon. It helps a lot.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The rounds I've been splitting lately are too heavy to lift. So I have to split in a two-step process. Go vertical to quarter the rounds. Then go horizontal to split. I'm also thinking of a winch lift to pull and lift the rounds into position. Maybe I can work on it this winter. For now I lift most of my quartered rounds using my homemade hookaroon. It helps a lot.

I've been wondering if one of those electric truck crane's might work. I've been thinking about mounting one on my spliter.
I'd like to try put a spliter with a log lift, Might have to put on on mine.
I've also thought about just buying a new spliter with a log lift already attached.
I'm gettin tired of lifting rounds.