I guess I did alright today....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machinisttx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Went around to a few yard sales today(no luck on saws at any of them) and decided to drive down to a local sale barn for grins. Found a bow bar and a McCulloch 10-10. They also had a homelite super XL and IIRC, a Homelite 4-20 gear drive. They weren't interested in selling the homelites, so I asked about the bow bar and the 10-10. For $25 I walked out with the 10-10 and the bow bar.

The gas and oil tanks were bone dry, and I couldn't even detect the stink of old varnished gas. It felt like it had good compression, and the chain was good. The bar is McCulloch, but it's totally shot. After coming home, I drove to my uncle's knowing that if it wouldn't run he could at least use it as spare parts for my grandfather's old 10-10. I figured I might as well try to start it, so I pulled the plug(which looked good) and checked for spark. It had fire, so we rolled the piston up to the top and put a bit of ATF in to lube the cylinder/rings, then left it sitting for a few minutes while I cleaned up the clutch cover. After clearing the atf, we put fuel in it and worked at getting it to fire with some carb cleaner. It didn't want to pull fuel, so my uncle took out the low/high needles and shot some cleaner through them. After that, it fired up and ran fine. After fiddling with it a bit more, the oiler finally started pumping. The air filter is shot and the brake band is missing. Other than those and the bar, everything appears to be fine.

Edit: I've been looking for a little while now and I can't find an air filter. the IPL I have for a 10-10a lists the part number for the air filter as 66774. I've found listings for "replaces part #xxxxxx" air filters, but none of them are 66774 and appear to be for the later saws. I'm guessing the part number changed at some point, but I don't know when, or what it changed to. The filters I'm finding are replacements for part numbers 214226 and 95213 or for part numbers 216685, 69922, and 92420. I did find out that the clutch cover is wrong for this saw though.

View attachment 290230

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back