McCulloch 10-10 Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poodle_Bruce

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I picked up a McCulloch Pro 10-10 Automatic on the cheap, and I have been using it to help my buddy clean up his property. This old saw still gets work done! I did some very basic maintenance when I saw how available parts are: New air filter, fuel line, spark plug, cheapo 20" bar and chain, & chain guides. I used to help cut firewood and worked landscaping where I ran a variety of saws. This is the first chainsaw I have owned, and I do not have any experience with older saws.

I had a few questions:

- How long should my bar oil last? I am going through 2 or 3 oil fills per gas tank.
- Any recommendations on chain tension? I have been struggling to find where this saw is happy. (Problem is probably my cheapo bar)
- This saw is still running on points and condenser. It starts pretty good, but should I throw a chip in there?
- I have not opened the carb, but I think it might be due for some new internals. Right now it cuts best in the middle/lower end of the power range. Is that typical? Should I expect more chain speed? I am having a hard time adjusting the carb to a happy cutting speed.
- Any tricks for making the handle wider? Cheap bar wrap? Maybe like a 1" fuel hose? My hand cramps, but I usually need a break by then anyway.

I know this is not going to be as "user friendly" as my buddy's new Stihl, but I certainly can't hear him when it's running. I would love to hear your 10-10 stories.

Thanks for the help!

IMG_20221019_104238993.jpg
IMG_20221019_104259077.jpg

Some guys put the plumbing isolation that people put on hot water pipes in house. To adjust the oiler I think u have to remove the front cover and there is a screw to adjust.
you carb may need rebuilding or you have an air leak. Should run best at full throttle under load.

Thanks for the help!

Plumbing insulation? Is there a tougher version than the soft foam I am thinking of that you can rip by hand?

Oiler adjustment seems like a no-brainer! I'll take a look.

I'll look up a carb kit.

Thank you!

The McCulloch thread is only at the top of the Sticky section. There is so much information on this forum, a guy gets lost.

Howdy folks,

- I have not opened the carb, but I think it might be due for some new internals. Right now it cuts best in the middle/lower end of the power range. Is that typical? Should I expect more chain speed? I am having a hard time adjusting the carb to a happy cutting speed.
It should cut best at wide open throttle.

A saw this age? Not a surprise. Order an OEM (walbro or zama depending on what’s there) referencing your carb model number. Deep clean the carb without compressed air. Check meter lever height (walbro w or zama z tool). Check carb and case for pressure.

Back