I hate heating with wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night the stove was getting a little warm. It was 83 in our front room... I was sitting in my favorite chair with shorts and flip flops on... It was so warm I had to add 3 ice cubes to my bourbon... I love wood wood heat...:msp_laugh:

Our house is 160 years old and was once heated with 2 parlor stoves and a oil boiler. I have since eliminated the stoves and installed an OWB. It covers all our heating needs and domestic hot water through the months of Sept to May. OIl takes care of hot water for the summer months. Before the addition of the OWB we would use 175 to 200 gals of oil a month in the winter. Some remodeling and insulation along with the OWB makes me a wood believer for life, plus I'm not supporting the Middle East Cartels anymore and the wood is tax free.

Ive thought about an OWB, but this week is a good example and why I haven't.
Yesterday below zero, by the weekend its supposed to be in the 50 with 60s next week.
How well do they handle warm temperatures and not roast you out of the house (thus burning up wood).
Ill try opening a window in the room with the fireplace next time to see if I can regulate the temperature better.

Ive thought about an OWB, but this week is a good example and why I haven't.
Yesterday below zero, by the weekend its supposed to be in the 50 with 60s next week.
How well do they handle warm temperatures and not roast you out of the house (thus burning up wood).
Ill try opening a window in the room with the fireplace next time to see if I can regulate the temperature better.

djones is right... The OWB's are capable of heating a house just like central heat. You don't want the heat? Turn the thermostat down... That being said, they do use more wood... But the potential is there for so much more than just taking the chill off the room if you know what I'm saying. :msp_thumbup:

I just wish my stove would burn for 10 hrs straight and keep the house warm that whole time so I could get some awesome sleep when I need it.

Last night the stove was getting a little warm. It was 83 in our front room... I was sitting in my favorite chair with shorts and flip flops on... It was so warm I had to add 3 ice cubes to my bourbon... I love wood wood heat...:msp_laugh:

:msp_lol: nice. sounds a lot like me..
I do open a window ever so often in the bedroom. all that good fresh air with all the heat you need makes it feel like you have a super air conditioner going. :msp_smile:

well, on days like this where is cold and snowy and I cant find a comfortable medium with the temperature of the house...
It got too hot, so I dampened it down then it got cold, so I stoked it again and it got hot, now its cooling off again...

Never heard such a thing as " too hot", I not sure you can have too much heat.

yes sir reeeeee!! i hate burning/heating with wood as well ... its just too danged hot and i dont get to pay my propane man !! with out paying for my heat im just about down right unamerican!! stealing a job away from those that need work and takeing money away from the poor oil companies!! the worst part of heating with wood , would have to be the clearing of the forest and disrupting the natural way of mother nature doing for her fury and feathered friends.... so in short i really should be setting behind the gray bar hotel for all these dasterdly deeds i have done over the last 40 or 50 years!! i really do need to redeam my self with mother nature!! so i think i will go cut another load of wood ? what say you other poor deviles?? :cry::cry::cry:

The government has it all figured out, all wood burners will be taxed according to the btu's of your boiler divided by the estimated annual full cords of wood burned, mulitiplied by the number of months that you burn, divided by the squared footage of your home/ wookshop / barn. It's the only fair way to make up for lost tax revenue on oil and gas.:msp_flapper:

The government has it all figured out, all wood burners will be taxed according to the btu's of your boiler divided by the estimated annual full cords of wood burned, mulitiplied by the number of months that you burn, divided by the squared footage of your home/ wookshop / barn. It's the only fair way to make up for lost tax revenue on oil and gas.:msp_flapper:

SHUT YOUR MOUTH! :hmm3grin2orange:

Usually catalytic stoves have bigger fireboxes. Bigger fireboxes=more burn time. I love being able to put a couple of huge chunks of Tamarack in the box and let er go all night.

===

Took a look at your Kuma stoves, nice, but why is the Seqouia so much more effient then the other models...Nice loads of wood in your pic by the way...

===

Took a look at your Kuma stoves, nice, but why is the Seqouia so much more effient then the other models...Nice loads of wood in your pic by the way...

I have the Model: Sequoia in my house; it is more efficient because it is a catalytic stove and all our other models are non-cat. A lot of folks dont like cat stoves but some of the most efficient and clean burning stoves made are cat. Some companies (i.e. Blaze King) only use catalytic technology in their wood stoves and have great success. It takes all kinds I guess...

Okay, I didn't pickup on it be a CAT stove, even at that its rated 5% more effient the the Mighty BK...thats pretty damm good...

I have the Model: Sequoia in my house; it is more efficient because it is a catalytic stove and all our other models are non-cat. A lot of folks dont like cat stoves but some of the most efficient and clean burning stoves made are cat. Some companies (i.e. Blaze King) only use catalytic technology in their wood stoves and have great success. It takes all kinds I guess...

Nice loads of wood... And Ford trucks... I like...:msp_wink:

Back