I have a new Notch Cut For you

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tree was favoring the direction where it ended up falling. There was really no way that it was going the opposite way. It was a stupid thing to do and it was one of the lessons learned.

I shouldnt have said rocking, what he did was put tension on the rope backing up and then letting is slack and backed up again, keeping modest tension on it.

The rope is a $300 rigging rope.

And Willocks Notch and Lamberts notch basically are two of the worst notches I have ever seen. I hope that is just a joke.

That Willocks Notch is halfway through the tree, that is asking for a kick out when that baby falls. Even the lambert notch physics is all wrong. Basically the mass of the tree which is usually spread over the remaining 1/4-1/3 of tree is not being supported by half the tree at a crazy angle. Do that on a rotten Ash like I have would create a world of trouble.

As far as getting an excavator there, it wasnt much an option.

What happened on Saturday is one of those things I will never do again though, I read that loud and clear how stupid it was.

-Molecule, from what I read in your post is about taking time to cut the notch in stages, not just doing each cut 1 at a time be being sure they meet and there is no cut through into the hinge?

-Newfie, I agree with you totally, there was a total communication breakdown the whole way. And the guys who I was with went ahead and did somethings without checking with me first. And all of them were stupid. A couple of things happened not worth mentioning leading up to the whole thing.

Last edited:
If a tree is that bad that I have to pull it with a truck, I'll be sure its on either a demolition site, or in the backwoods where nobody will care, then I can just use some dynamite and blow it 2 counties over. LOL J/K just give me the chainsaw, some wedges, a good hardhat, and enough time the tree will come down sooner or later.

TreeCo said:
If I'm going to be rocking in the truck I always use the Lambert notch. I've found that if the tree is tall enough to reach the truck then the Lambert notch has removed enough wood and reduced the weight enough that very little damage occurs.
Woudln't it be easier to just get some beaver to do it for you? Beavers know exactly how to handle wood. That's what those big teeth are for. :cool:

its a buzz taking the top outta dead stuff alot of guys here really live for that sorta thing.

how would you guys dismantle this thing?
attachment_24822.php

Anyone ever stick a couple of sticks of dynamite in a tree? Is it pretty effective? (I am not going to try it)

Dynamite is sometimes used to blow out the tops of burned trees to create widlife habitats. Climbers are advised to get it right the first time.

Do a search for the Willock Notch and there is some good info in the 2 posts. I wouldn't question Gypo's falling practices.

Why the heck not? He cuts hardwood, no time in steep country, with different species, I'd question his or anyones practices if you arent sure of the process. What is he some sort of god? :blob5:

well people do this sort of thing every day and mostly get away with it. let u dad set the notch as he sounds like he knows more. u dont rock a tree that has to have a controled fall.sooner or later thats gonna bite u big time. any dont mean to be critical. just thought id ad my warning to the rest.have i done it ,yep. somehow i lived thru doing dangerouse things all my life. but i did try to learn from my mistakes. these boys just dont want to see u get hurt,steven.. luck now

stevenb said:
Woozel who are you referring to?
I didnt do the quote thing right, I was replying to the statement about questioning Gyppologger and his cutting, I say question anyones cutting :)

Thanks Tony, I know they just lectured me to teach me a lesson. I am glad that I got away with doing this stupid thing. We all do stupid things and get lucky, I am just glad everything went ok and the big guy upstairs was looking over my shoulder.

Back