I have an ash tree crisis!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustang71

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
can't explain how many trees I need to take down. Ive taken down over 100 trees. I had the local tree company here today for the second time this summer. Im still waiting on asplunda to take down trees near the power lines that i haven't taken down. Im like 5 years out on fire wood. Then I've had a few other non ash trees fall down due to ants. I offered the tree company more money to cut more trees and they said they were to busy. I have at least 50 more 70 plus feet tall ash trees to cut. Did I mention that they are all within falling distance of my house? I'm in ash tree hell. How do you store 10 years worth of fire wood? I bought the house in the woods in the country for the privacy and awesomeness with the hope of a few cords of fire wood a year. I used to love chainsaws and tree cutting. Now i really hate trees...lol

Wood will keep that long no problem depending on the environment.

Roof over it (no tarps).

Wind that can keep air moving through the wood

Off the ground.

This is providing you do not live in an extremely humid climate. That will make it hard. And so will pests.

I but burned oak and ash that was stored for 7-8 years properly. Was the best wood ever. Super hard and dense. Burned long. I imagine ash would last longer than oak.

Ever thought about selling it though?

Get a nice stock pile for yourself then sell the rest?

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

People are giving wood away around here. For the 70 dollars that you can sell a face cord for im not sure its worth my time to cut it and split it.

I'm going to try to keep it off the ground and in log form until I need it. But man am I overwhelmed with all these trees and the mess they make.

Around here there are several tree services. Several chains like asplunda here are busy with elecrtic company contracts clearing right of ways.

Look for the little companies in the phone book.

I wish I were closer I would be happy to remove some of that Ash for you. I have been cutting off my property near 20 years and am about out.

Al

Worry about the house first.
If the high lines come down the utility is responsible for their side of the "service point". That point varries with jurisdiction. Focus on your investment first. Those big trees will by ok for a while, just dropped on the ground for a while. Maybe not optimal but if that's what you've got to do, do it. I think I'd want a pro to work the dead/die trees near the house. I cut firewood and no illusions of being a seasoned sawyer.

I've taken down a lot of trees around my house that I can manage with a rope and cutting the notch and back cut right. I have the local tree service come in then a bucket truck is required and he also gives me advice and tells me which trees I need to take down. The trees along the power lines are also with in falling distance of my house. Not all of them but about 10 that I haven't taken down are.

I wouldnt say ash trees are hard to take down but its still a lot of work. They are all pretty much straight trees that don't have big tops. I think i have all the ones with a 24" plus trunk down.

I've taken down a lot of trees around my house that I can manage with a rope and cutting the notch and back cut right. I have the local tree service come in then a bucket truck is required and he also gives me advice and tells me which trees I need to take down. The trees along the power lines are also with in falling distance of my house. Not all of them but about 10 that I haven't taken down are.

I wouldnt say ash trees are hard to take down but its still a lot of work. They are all pretty much straight trees that don't have big tops. I think i have all the ones with a 24" plus trunk down.
Here Ash tree's are cake to drop until the rot reaches the tops
They snap off like no other tree.
I've had them break nearly in half when the tension is released
I've been using deep open face cuts on the bad one's
To give them more of chance of staying in one piece while i get away from them.
I've cut 2-300 for a farmer can't give the wood away
People want you to split it for free.

Sounds like you need a really big wood shed. If you keep the wood dry after it’s cut and split it will last a really long time.

A friend of mine built a big one using telephone poles as corner post with a roof on top and a concrete slab for a base. He could probably fit 50 cord under it stacked. Didn’t cost much to build either.

Here Ash tree's are cake to drop until the rot reaches the tops
They snap off like no other tree.
I've had them break nearly in half when the tension is released
I've been using deep open face cuts on the bad one's
To give them more of chance of staying in one piece while i get away from them.
I've cut 2-300 for a farmer can't give the wood away
People want you to split it for free.

The tree guy I use said the same thing. Thats y they don't climb them anymore.

People are giving wood away around here. For the 70 dollars that you can sell a face cord for im not sure its worth my time to cut it and split it.

I'm going to try to keep it off the ground and in log form until I need it. But man am I overwhelmed with all these trees and the mess they make.
They do make a mess when they hit the ground. I think if you keep them in log form and dry the should last you a while. Sacrifice a couple of logs to stack the rest on. I have one to work on but it's been to stinking hot.
20200808_113828.jpg20200808_113901.jpg

20200815_170349.jpg
20200815_170332.jpg

All the dead ones are mine. My house is about 20 feet tall. A lot of these are over 80 feet tall. I have cleared the front and side yard but in the back and other side there are well over 50 trees and i counted today and about 20 of them need to come down.

Mustang71 I feel for you. So far in my area the ash trees are holding there own. But when it hits it won't be any fun. I remember in the 60's when I was a kid when the elm disease came threw my home town that was full of big elm trees and wiped them out even all these years later the town still looks different than it did. I hope you have some friends that can give you a hand. You have a big job ahead of you. Stay safe.

I tried to give the tree guy more money to lay them all down but he said he didn't have the time. I work 6 days a week and have 2 kids. I dont have a lot of time either. Im trying to make a deal with the devil. I called a local logging company and am awaiting a visit. My neighbor is on me about trees falling on his property. My property is 700 by 300 and I'd be happy to give one long side and one short side of large ash trees to a logging company. That still leaves me like 2 plus acres of mature woods with no threat to anything. At this point I dont have the man power or time to get them all down before they fall on something.

I feel your pain on being too busy. I just have to bite the bullet sometimes and take a week long stay-cation and do tree stuff. Maybe your situation would allow you to do a long weekend and get a bunch on the ground. My issue is the mature HVBW trees in my backyard. The misses swears they are gonna speed up her retirement because some ass told her how much they might be worth. I have even shown her the thread on here but what do we know... Guess when one ends up on the house she will admit her mistake. Nah, never!

If you have almost 5 acres, I would clear a big enough area and stack them in log length. Whatever your tractor will handle weight wise. Start with the closet/most likely to do damage trees, and do them as time allows. Tell your neighbor if he's that concerned then grab a saw and help out or shut the hell up.

Doesn't really help ya Mustang but I'm in the same boat. Been taking down dead ash for 4 years. Selling it cheap for firewood....just to get rid of it...started with trees that would cause damage. And I only have a couple saws and a splitter. I have a great neighbor with a backhoe that helps occasionally to persuade the tree to fall where I want it. It's a nightmare for sure.

If you have almost 5 acres, I would clear a big enough area and stack them in log length. Whatever your tractor will handle weight wise. Start with the closet/most likely to do damage trees, and do them as time allows. Tell your neighbor if he's that concerned then grab a saw and help out or shut the hell up.

My neighbor told me he would push them with his tractor while i cut. They are leaning over his field and power line. I refuse to cut them when someone is pushing low against the lean.. I've done enough of these to know that doesn't work very well. I told him to have someone help him and he can drop them in my woods and have the wood.

Depending on how big the trees are you’d be better off tying a bull rope up high and pulling from your house side. If there’s a power line involved, I can see why you want a professional. Do you have any pics from the neighbors side/field area?

Depending on how big the trees are you’d be better off tying a bull rope up high and pulling from your house side. If there’s a power line involved, I can see why you want a professional. Do you have any pics from the neighbors side/field area?

I always climb up my extension ladder and get a rope in them. I can usually pull them the way I want. I dont have any pics at the moment but the trees are hanging right over his lines. He put the lines in in the 80s and these trees are over 50 years old and he's never trimmed them or kept them away. Ive live there for 7 years and I've done my best to help him out but the problem needed to be addressed years ago.

Back