I have noticed something here.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
clinchscavalry

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
I've noticed that there's so much self administered back patting in this thread that it sounds like a kitten purring. :hmm3grin2orange:

The one big problem with being truly self-sufficient is taxes. We only rent our land and houses from the gov't. even if they're totally paid for. We have to generate cash one way or another to pay this "rent" or they'll legally take it away from us and sell it on the courthouse steps. But it's still good to limit reliance on others as much as possible, both from an economic standpoint and as food for the spirit.

Haywire, where were you at Christmas time ? I was expecting a visit ;)

deutzman

deutzman

ArboristSite Operative
I'll be 59 soon and can't remember not heating with wood or coal. My Dad kept us warm with coal in the 50's and then wood from about 1956 on. If we got a red wagon for Christmas it was mainly used to bring wood from the wood pile to the house after school and on weekends when we were small. As my folks got older and my Mom couldn't be around the dust/ smoke from a wood fire they finally put in a oil furnace. Then I only had to cut wood for my home. Last year my Dad used $1,500 in oil.btw He'll be 90 in April and Mon will be 85 in a few days. My son is 22 and all he knows is heating with wood. Biggest improvement here is this is our first year with an OWB. It's given us a new freedom of not having to tend the fire every 4-5 hours when it's real cold and windy. We both work and work different hours.

So it's been a life style for us and seems it always will be till I'm to old to put wood in the firebox. I wouldn't think of using any other source of heat. I live in the old home house and farm where my grandfather settled in 1929. They used 4 fireplaces, a wood cook stove and one wood heater. Lots of wood has been used here over the years. I see no need to change that.

Haywire Haywood

Haywire Haywood

Fiscal Conservative Social Retard
Haywire, where were you at Christmas time ? I was expecting a visit ;)

To tell ya the truth, there's 2 reasons why you didn't get a visit. The primary one being that I couldn't remember who it was that had the place down there. LOL. Secondary reason is that I just lacked the gitty up. We ended up spending the 4 days down there stripping 2 layers of wall paper and repainting mom's bedroom. :help:

Ian

danrclem

danrclem

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey danrclem, sorry to hear about getting laid off...again! My heart goes out to you as we've been hit hard by the poor economy ourselves.

I really like your example of "self reliance" and how your kids can learn from your example.

The nice thing about cuttin wood, is you have control over the process and you get to see a tangible outcome from your efforts.

Hope things improve for you soon buddy.

- Scott

Thanks for your sympathy but I'm actually in good shape to be able to weather it. I do feel for the young people who can and have lost their homes under these same circumstances. My motto is to prepare for worst and if it does come along you'll be ready for it.

Biker Dude

Biker Dude

Addicted to ArboristSite
This thread is proof positive that great minds think alike. I love wood for the same reasons as all the rest of you and I don't think that's likely to change any time soon.
:cheers:

fields_mj

fields_mj

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
When I started down this course, it was about saving money. Then NG prices dropped quite a bit. I like cutting fire wood, I like being out doors in the winter, and I like having the house at 78 degrees when it's -10 outside, so I kept right on going :)

olyman
My 12 yr old daughter asked how cold the house would be before I return in 3 days. She didn't even realize that we have a furnace. Again, great thread.[/QUOTE]

wakes em up to the realitys of life--outside of a computer and ####,,or ipod-----:laugh:

olyman
When I started down this course, it was about saving money. Then NG prices dropped quite a bit. I like cutting fire wood, I like being out doors in the winter, and I like having the house at 78 degrees when it's -10 outside, so I kept right on going :)

same here--when the prices dropped, i turned on the gas--when it jumped a few years back on went the wood furnace!!!!

oneoldbanjo

oneoldbanjo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Originally Posted by PHCMindy
i was once told, firewood warms you TWICE- once when you cut it and again when you burn it.

wayyyyy more than twice!!!!

I get warm when I cut it, warm again when I load it into the trailer, warm again when I take it out of the trailer and split it, warm again when I stack it in the wood shed......and then again when I take it from the woodshed and load it into the OWB.

Sometimes there is even a few more steps if I haul the wood from one woodshed and move it to another. Eventually I will only have one woodshed - but the utility lines on my property were cleared and I got about 45 cords of wood dropped in about 3 weeks of their cutting. It took me a whole summer of spare time to get it cut and stacked, and I have about 6 years of wood in storage.

2coldHere

2coldHere

ArboristSite Lurker
And Now for Something Completely Different....

Here's a view from a different angle.

Burning firewood is only useful when you have your health & body to do all the manual labor needed for it, and when you have a lot of control over your own time.

Lose the use of your body for hard labor and your wood burning days are either over, or they become a pain-producing chore of pure misery.

If you have a job where your schedule is sporadic (like unexpected overtime without comp days off) and unpredictable (like "sorry guys, I know it's Friday at 3:30pm, but the bos says we gotta work all weekend to get this thing done; and no Monday off either..."), with frequent & unexpected travel, or military deployments,,, you get the picture: well that job will pretty much kill your ability to burn wood and enjoy doing it.

"Burning" wood is easy: just stick it in the stove. All the work you have to go through to get good wood properly cut, split, stacked, seasoned and kept protected & convenient is the hard part. THAT's where you need to have a lot of control over your own schedule.