I have put mix oil in the b/c tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Count

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
LOL
true.
a friend of mine bought a chainsaw for about 75$
it is an Einhel saw, like the cheapest saw type.
I have worked once with it, cutting a fir tree;

this time, he called me to help him cut some more tuia trees.
I have asked him why not cut by himself for those trees were not big at all; he can`t stand the chainsaw.

anyways, filled up the gas and when to fill up the oil...surprise: he had no oil left.
long story short, I have put mix oil into the tank and got the job done in aprox 30 min.

Q: could this act be harmful to the saw ? asking just in case; to be honest I have seen no danger, other than the big difference in price; and since was an "emergency cut"....and not my money or my call for that matter....

also the chain was dull but I wasn`t in the mood to file. sorry.

No harm was done really. Maybe a smidge more wear on the bar if ya got out a micrometer and went to comparing.

I'm willing to bet Vagisil would work well enough, in an emergency.

I don't think ya hurt the guys saw more than it's manufacturer did.LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

As above...no REAL damage. The issue is that b&c has addatives that make it stick to the chain better to keep lube on it, mix oil is very thin and will have thrown off lots more. Also, a damn expensive alternative! Still, it's better than using nothing. And it's better than used motor oil...A lot of the old timers here just use that. I'm sure all those particles of metal suspended in it do wonders for the bar...and hell, they wonder why the oilers go bad all the time!!!

Sounds like the most expensive alternative to me.

Not sharpening the chain is a much easier way to hurt the saw, bar, and chain than using an alternative to bar oil.

What about using clean, new motor oil? Ive used that a few times when out of bar oil just to finish chunking trees

As long as not fuel mixed with oil

If it slung off & ignited on a hot muffler, it might be a interesting day in the woods.

I have put B&C oil once in fuel tank, caught mistake before trying to crank saw.

Anybody tried vegetable (soybean) oil in a pinch? It is cheaper than Canola here.

Went camping one year and forgot bar oil. I had a lot of olive oil for cooking. Didn't do any harm. Couldn't eat the stakes I made from the fir I made for the tent. Go figure.

Sounds like the most expensive alternative to me.

Not sharpening the chain is a much easier way to hurt the saw, bar, and chain than using an alternative to bar oil.

I agree, very true. If you want to be a good friend then teach him how to do this, he'll find cutting a lot more enjoyable and will call you a lot less to help him.

Back