I have to fess up.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Spoon"

"Spoon"

ArboristSite Member
I hope what I say does not offend anyone but I feel I must fess up. I got caught up in the Fiskars Super Splitter buying frenzy. I got a great deal on it to start with and it does split well, but the problem is, it does not split any better than my Walmart Splitting Maul. I like it and it weighs less, but I just don't think it splits better than my Maul. Don't get me wrong, it is a great product, I just want others to know that it is not the only option.

MacLaren

MacLaren

Addicted to ArboristSite
IMHO, if its doin that good then great. Im gettin one too, and i dont have very high expectaion from it. i can tell by lookin at it that it really wouldnt split any better than a regular go devil. But I like the looks of it and it weighs less too. I think that you have to take into consideration the weight.
IMO, i think its doin pretty good then! Cant wait to get mine!

TreePointer

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
I don't think you'll find any axe or maul that excels at doing everything. IMO, the Fiskars SSA is very adept at splitting straight grained wood during long splitting sessions. Sure, a 6-8 lb. maul will split the same wood, but I can get a lot more split with the SSA because of less fatigue.

I don't even attempt to split nasty crotches or twisted grains with the SSA (or any other axe/maul for that matter). That's reserved for noodling with a chainsaw or the hydraulic splitter.

biggenius29

biggenius29

Addicted to ArboristSite
Know what, I have to agree with you.

Yesterday my splitter died on my and I was splitting by had and was using my SS for alot of my splitting, and it does work great for straight grained wood, but I was having problems with a few pieces and I got out my Walmart special maul to hit a wedge in, but I thought I should first hit the wood with the maul, and it broke it to pieces.

Yes, the SS has its place, and is awsome, but for hand splitting for me I feel there is still need for a maul.

I do need a good maul though, better than my walmart special. Any suggestions guys?

branchbuzzer

branchbuzzer

Undiagnosed
The SS seem a bit short aren't they? 28" seems kinda like a little league bat size. How are you guys getting leverage with that length? Or are there longer lengths. I think I'd have trouble adjusting, at least for a while, since my haymaker is 35".

Last edited:
TreePointer

TreePointer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
You guys live any where near the Amish. Check out what they use.

I am in the middle of western PA Amish country. and one of my immediate neighbor is Amish. I've never seen an hydraulic splitter on their farms, but I certainly have seen some nice chainsaws!

Maybe I'll try to have a plain GTG to see what they use, LOL!

boda65

boda65

ArboristSite Guru
The SS seem a bit short aren't they? 28" seems kinda like a little league bat size. How are you guys getting leverage with that length? Or are there longer lengths. I think I'd have trouble adjusting, at least for a while, since my haymaker is 35".

They are coming out with a longer handled model next year. I heard that rumor and called the company. The lady didn't know, but actually looked into it and called me back. I am used to getting the brush-off, so just that bit of customer service got my attention. She called me back and confirmed that they will have a longer handled model next year, but could not provide specifics as to release date or price. With all the rave reviews here, I just may try one when they come out.

CountryBoy19

CountryBoy19

ArboristSite Operative
The Fiskars certainly isn't a "do-it-all" tool. But the places it really shines are durability/lifetime-warranty, and very little fatigue when you use it. Actually, I just realized this weekend that I sweat more when stacking than I do when I'm splitting w/ my SS.

gilraine

gilraine

ArboristSite Guru
I don't think you'll find any axe or maul that excels at doing everything. IMO, the Fiskars SSA is very adept at splitting straight grained wood during long splitting sessions. Sure, a 6-8 lb. maul will split the same wood, but I can get a lot more split with the SSA because of less fatigue.

I don't even attempt to split nasty crotches or twisted grains with the SSA (or any other axe/maul for that matter). That's reserved for noodling with a chainsaw or the hydraulic splitter.

totally agree....

Latest posts