I just ruined a cylinder with a piston stop tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a nice used cylinder and piston I can sell you pretty cheap. It is a chrome plated bore setup. Shipping may be expensive tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OUCH !! looking at that pic hurt. Yep, piston stops can do some damage . Haven't used one in years because I came close to doing the same thing.

Way back in the mid 1990s, I tried to get a job at a Sylvania plant, but they wouldn't hire me as a mechanic or line adjuster because I hadn't been through machinist school. So I just started as a temp and just got on, to try to go permanent/full time later.
I was sent to work on a brand new line, it was being installed by the germans, the new skinny Neva flourescent tube. So getting started, it had a lot of kinks to work out, and I was on the second shift. So the line would be shut down a lot, trying to work out all of the bugs. Most of the tech guys were fresh out of machinist schools too, as the experienced ones had 1st shift, so they were pretty poor at fixing anything.
One night, the line shut down, a spindle had locked up, and the foreman was sending all of the temps home. I asked if I could hang around and clean, etc., as I needed the hours.
While working, I was watching the "machinists" trying to work on this problem. They had on one of their benches this spindle, with a large cogged gear on it, and it was locked up, and they couldn't get the nut loose that held it onto the shaft. They had the bearings here at the plant, but since they couldn't get the gear pulley off, they couldn't fix it.
The were calling Germany to get the whole thing overnighted, which meant that the line might be shut down the next night too, and the cost of having it "overnighted" would be in the thousands, the foremen were chatting about their dilemma.
I was sweeping nearby.... When there was a break in the action, they were talking about taking it to the other side of the plant, and putting it in their "soft-jawed" vice, etc.
I asked one of the guys that I had made friends with, "Do any of your guys have an impact wrench? I can get that bolt off in 10 seconds"
"No", was all I heard after he checked with the other guys.
"Well, can I borrow a ratchet and a 1/2 inch socket?" I asked after looking at the bolt.

"But everything here is metric!!!"

"OK, whatever...... 13mm!!!

Do you mind if I tap on the handle of your ratchet?

The bolt backed off easily, and the gear pulled off right away, as the equipment on this line was practically brand new. I handed the stuff back to the guys and picked my broom back up, and started sweeping again, the line foreman were just staring, not saying a word.

It usually takes just a little impact/tapping to get things done.....

I never did get hired there, Obama shut the plant down not too long ago.....
The person pushing a broom mopping or cooking is always the smartest . Get it done

Just use an impact wrench or drill driver.
Stop listening to the guys here and tearing your stuff up.

Leave the sparkplug in, and use a drill driver.
Those little battery powered impacts are a godsend in our world. I use a makita. Spend about 100 bucks saves alot of time and headaches and broken poulan cylinders.

That style of piston stop is for the plug being straight up and down, using in that saw would put a shitload or force on the top of the cylinder.

I also use those type redneck terms quite often. (I've been around and watched and listened to so called engineers that had their degree (somehow) and was amazed at first that several did not have a hint of any common sense. After being around them so called engineers for awhile it came to be expected. Common sense does not come out of a book.

Shitload: Needs to be added to the Redneck Dicktenary.;)

Bet the wife told you to get that saw off the kitchen table when you first started to take it apart.;)

That's the wrong kind of piston stop for that piston...

Interesting what Harley is saying, might have to give that a try. Personally never had issue taking one off (w/ correct stop) 13mm deep socket & a few gentle taps from a rubber mallet. Clutches are a bit more irksome but usually don't put up much fight.

What I'm really wondering is, how many people actually torque them down to correct specs vs. "feels about right".

When using any kind of "stop", the piston is up against something hard. And any whacking is risky.
When using something with impact action, nothing is hitting anything, excecpt the impact on the fastener, and that is what breaks things loose and zips it right off.
No holes in pistons, no bending rods, no damage..

I use Stihl's stop for just about everything and haven't had an issue before. I believe the correct application is to push it to the edge of the crown so it squishes between the thickest part of the cylinder head & crown. As far as whacking, just a few taps really because I can't be bothered to lay on it. Have you ever stripped threads before doing it that way or sheared a key, anything like that?

upload_2018-11-12_10-31-27.png

Latest posts

Back