I Made My Little Makita Not Suck Anymore!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First 3 cuts with 3/8 LoPro averaged out 3 seconds each... last 4 cuts with 1/4" average out 3 seconds each (& it looks & sounds like you are putting more pressure on the saw with the 1/4").
Swapping bars/chains is a valid choice for other reasons, but any gains you may be experiencing I would put down to your new chain being sharper.
Chain pitch cannot change the power of the motor, if there is a difference in drive sprocket diameter it will change chain speed & torque (compare your 2 sprockets) this may help or hinder depending on the difference & the circumstances.
Apparent cutting power may change based on the kerf you are cutting but the difference between 1/4" chain & narrow kerf 3/8 LoPro is insignificant

First 3 cuts with 3/8 LoPro averaged out 3 seconds each... last 4 cuts with 1/4" average out 3 seconds each (& it looks & sounds like you are putting more pressure on the saw with the 1/4").
Swapping bars/chains is a valid choice for other reasons, but any gains you may be experiencing I would put down to your new chain being sharper.
Chain pitch cannot change the power of the motor, if there is a difference in drive sprocket diameter it will change chain speed & torque (compare your 2 sprockets) this may help or hinder depending on the difference & the circumstances.
Apparent cutting power may change based on the kerf you are cutting but the difference between 1/4" chain & narrow kerf 3/8 LoPro is insignificant

Is there much weight difference or driver count, between the LP and the 1/4"?

LP does seem heavier than the .325m.

Then again, how much would that motor notice the difference?

Is there much weight difference or driver count, between the LP and the 1/4"?

LP does seem heavier than the .325m.

Then again, how much would that motor notice the difference?
There is a huge difference in driver count with the quarter pitch. There's 57 drive links with the new bar, but I can't really find much information about the old one.

Kerf width would have the most bearing on cutting speed, BUT you can't beat 1/4 inch pitch for smooth cutting. The Stihl chain will spoil you fast in that respect.

There is a huge difference in driver count with the quarter pitch. There's 57 drive links with the new bar, but I can't really find much information about the old one.
Just count the drive links. Or you can do the math...
57 × 0.25 (chain pitch) × 2 (DL's are 2 × the pitch apart) = 28.5" of chain.
Work backwards to get 3/8 DL count...
28.5 ÷ 2 ÷ 0.375 = 38.
So your 3/8 LoPro chain would've been around 38 Drive Links & I'd imagine noticeable lighter than the 1/4".

Latest posts

Back