I Made Some 3x8's today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
It was a pretty nice day here today, so i turned some logs into lumber... I have a customer that needs a bunch of 3"x8"-16's for rafters, and also some 5/4 randoms for roof boards...

I had parked the "log running gear" too close to this log pile, so i had to lift the logs over the pile when backing up...

standard.jpg

It's not a bit deal, and every log went onto the mill just fine...

standard.jpg

I didn't take a lot of picts, because i was busy taking advantage of the nice January weather!! Also i burned up a couple hours of my day "super tuneing" the mill.... I have it sawing spot on now...

standard.jpg

I just kept after it untill i had the last few logs sawn...

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Well, that's it for today... Next will be to go harvest some more pine as i need a lot more of those 3x8's!

Rob

Thanks for having us along, some nice looking lumber there.

Is that a pond expanding in the backround or a creeck?

Thanks for the pictures.

I milled some 3x10x16s today out of white oak for wagon runners. I milled the decking last weekend. I was going to do 4x10s but with the oak it seemed like it would be overkill.

Looks like you had a better day than me!

Thanks!

Thanks for the pics Rob... I love seeing a pile of finished fresh sawn lumber. Curious... how do you keep the wheels of that "log wagon" of yours from rubbing up against the logs as you transport them? I don't see any spikes or anything to keep them from rolling into the wheels, especially when you turn the thing.

Thanks guys...

To answer the questions... I have a low spot in the front of my house to catch runoff when it rains hard, and i store the lumber untill it makes a load near it... We had a real hard rain a few days ago, and it with the melted snow, made a lot of water that was in that low spot... It's pretty much all gone today.

As to the running gear... I only haul 4 or so logs at a time, as i don't want to have to store logs here on site, so i've been getting away without having to build bunks for it... It would be a lot better if it had them though and i keep saying i'm going to put some on it, so it's a future project...

Right now what i do, is to load the logs, and then put a chain all the way around them to keep them together, and it works pretty good for now...

Back