I market for leads get 15-20 a day. I want to learn how to sell the job, training

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That surprises me, but I'll take your word. I can fathom not being a great salesman; the other part makes me say hhmmm.

Anyways, your post was very helpful, thorough & detailed. One of my weak points is knowing how much to charge. But on the other hand, I don't really need to know any time soon, plenty of other **** to learn.

Does not surprise me.. guys who are good salesmen can learn the ropes on tree pricing. Yes they will miss some when learning; having them sit and observe a few jobs is good idea though. Learning the true time involved - as cleanup time is often the part missed when bidding is off. Does not take long to get on ground at times; but you can spend as long or longer cleaning up the mess.

That surprises me, but I'll take your word. I can fathom not being a great salesman; the other part makes me say hhmmm.

It shouldn't really come as too much of a surprise. In any trade you'll find plenty of people who are excellent craftsman, passionate and skillful, but lacking in the business sense department. They do great working for business minded people who know how to operate and price a service, but poorly when they try to run their own show.

I'm not sure whether its just a little vanity, a little lack of estimating skills or what, but plenty of tree climbers do come up short on estimated times. They focus on the tree, and how long they'll be in there, but often fail to account for travel to and from site, packing up and unpacking of gear, sharpening saws, dumping chip, yard cleanup etc. You have to make some allowance for these. I figure most companies have got about 2 hours in most jobs before a saw even touches wood with all the above factored in, maybe more.

This isn't just young tree climbers I'm talking about either, plenty of older guys are guilty of it. "that'll only take me an hour to get done". People who come from an estimating background generally take a rational approach to quoting - some sort of formula for factoring in volumes of materials, distance to carry, travel time, and make allowances for their base costs. How you arrive at the number isn't so important as having a rational system for getting to it. The old 'gut feeling' can be pretty far off sometimes.

Of course, it's a competitive marketplace. What number you come up with doesn't mean jack if you have to match other peoples prices to win work. At least it will let you know whether you're making or losing money though! I try to work with other tree guys in my area so we are all charging fair prices pretty close to each other. Most other trades do this - mechanics, electricians, plumbers. It makes sense for the industry, and when you can make an honest dollar you can afford to do professional work for your customers and not cut corners, hurt yourself or go broke. A good situation for both customers and business.

Shaun

Shau
Thanks for all the insight and helping out. Forums were designed to help each other out not to post nasty things.
I have 3 friends who started in the business 5 years ago with the same tree company. they where mangers/ salesmen in other industries. Now All 3 own their own business and have 3-5 crews running with 3-5 men in each crew. They knew nothing about climbing a tree, they hired the right people for that. I just started working for one this week. 5 man crew does $2400 day and 3 man crew does $1500 day. I have not sold yet, still just providing leads. I am going out watching the crews work for now and taking videos to learn.

Shau
Thanks for all the insight and helping out. Forums were designed to help each other out not to post nasty things.
I have 3 friends who started in the business 5 years ago with the same tree company. they where mangers/ salesmen in other industries. Now All 3 own their own business and have 3-5 crews running with 3-5 men in each crew. They knew nothing about climbing a tree, they hired the right people for that. I just started working for one this week. 5 man crew does $2400 day and 3 man crew does $1500 day. I have not sold yet, still just providing leads. I am going out watching the crews work for now and taking videos to learn.
be sure to post the videos cause we all know it doesn't happen without the videos & pictures.........

Shau

is thats so? maybe you sould just make a movie and sell it instead of starting a career as an estimator take the easy way through life...I'd by it on dvd, 2500 5 guys? sounds like someone on that crew needs to work harder!!! with 4 we have done 5000 minimum every day since mid march, we are on track for a badass bonus this year!, and our solid 3 man crew does like 3500 and our "rookie" crew does about 2500

is thats so? maybe you sould just make a movie and sell it instead of starting a career as an estimator take the easy way through life...I'd by it on dvd, 2500 5 guys? sounds like someone on that crew needs to work harder!!! with 4 we have done 5000 minimum every day since mid march, we are on track for a badass bonus this year!, and our solid 3 man crew does like 3500 and our "rookie" crew does about 2500

Damn, you guys are getting paid well.

3 years ago the same $2500 day was around 4k.

$2500 day is the average for 8-hour day with $1100 in expenses, wish we could charge more here per job but we have a company here if you bid $2000 they come in around $1300. They are killing the market here. They follow no rules; hire cheap immigrants pay no taxes, ect. They have D- rating with BBB.

I hear 3 years ago the same $2500 day was around 4k.

$2500 day is the average for 8-hour day with $1100 in expenses, wish we could charge more here per job but we have a company here if you bid $2000 they come in around $1300. They are killing the market here. They follow no rules; hire cheap immigrants pay no taxes, ect. They have D- rating with BBB.

I hear 3 years ago the same $2500 day was around 4k.

thats everywhere my friend you need to build a good reputaion for good work and never on any job slip up. within a 1/2 hour of me there are probably 10-15 of those lowballin immigrant co's out there but we still pull big money because we are good

Leads

Anyone who is generating 10-15 leads per day is worth talking to! What are you using to generate your leads? That's what I want to know!!

but we still pull big money because we are good

I hear this everywhere. What do you mean you are good? Good how? You didn't break anything and can rake really well? Because that is all anyone sees really. Never underestimate the markets willingness to pay handsomely for sub-standard tree care. Another of my favorites is; "We do the trees no one else will touch". Who operates under that illusion? Definitely no one that lives in a competitive market with dozens of able competitors.

To the OP: In many ways estimating is the most difficult part of the job. Bid too high and you won't have any work, too low and you won't survive. This sounds obvious because it is. But how do you bridge the gulf between the two consistently?

Another of my favorites is; "We do the trees no one else will touch". Who operates under that illusion? Definitely no one that lives in a competitive market with dozens of able competitors.
Man is that ever the truth. Almost every company around here owns a crane and they're obsessed with keeping them working whether they need them or not. You'd have to look long and hard to find a tree that "no one else will touch".

Phil

Back