I may be giving up on chainsaw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That thing was cool,but sort of like when you go to the gas station and "someone else"fills your car or cut your firewood,nice bit of gear dont get me wrong.But looks too easy:)"Satifaction of hard work makes beer taste sweeter"

Last edited:
SUre it looks cool but in all reality it's a waste of money. I often find my self with butt logs that the skidsteer wouldn't lift much less cut it 16"

Sorry looks like a great pile of metal to me. x.X

Wow...that was worth the wait (dial-up...I worked the few minutes it took to load).

Kevin

Just an opinion here, but I think the thing would be better with a circular saw blade on it.

Just an opinion here, but I think the thing would be better with a circular saw blade on it.

Careful Vibes; this is a chainsaw forum!

You know that the circular blade would have to be more than 2 times the diameter of the log, which might make it too big for the Bobcat application.

I am assumng that they are using a harvester style bar and chain on this (and similar firewood processors), which is what is used on many of the feller-bunchers, and designed to mechanically cut through whole trees.

Philbert

Kinda makes me feel under-gunned with my splitter and 361. But that thing would have had Hell with the 29" pecan I split 2 cords of this weekend.LOL
Hey Brownpot I know your at A&M ,and it being one of the nations best Engineering schools there's got to be some improvements you can come up with.:givebeer::givebeer::givebeer:

It's a nice machine but you stihl need a saw to cut the tree's
down to feed the beast and they all have to be at least 10 to
15 footers by the look of it. Kind of unmanagable peices in the bush if you had to drag em home. Ever try and load a 10 to 15 foot 12" diameter oak log green? Not fun even for a couple big guy's. Wood be good if you bought your wood and had it delivered but if you resell it cut and split it eats up alot of your profits. I guess there's a plus and minus to everything but i like my saw and regular splitter sure it's a little slower but i sell cut and split mix of birch pine and maple for 125.00
a cord. It'd take 192 cords to pay for if it's a 24,000 dollar machine.

I watched it twice. Seeing them rounds get split is just mesmerizing. Kinda like watching a voluptious woman with a bouncy stride in a plunging neckline. Must...divert...gaze. Not...politie...to stare.

Plus the sound the wood makes as it's coming thru the spliter. Mesmerizing is a good word.

You know that the circular blade would have to be more than 2 times the diameter of the log, which might make it too big for the Bobcat application

Wasn't thinking of that. That thing reminds me of some of the production saws we use in the sheetmetal shops around here.

You know that the circular blade would have to be more than 2 times the diameter of the log, which might make it too big for the Bobcat application
Wasn't thinking of that. That thing reminds me of some of the production saws we use in the sheetmetal shops around here.

If you search A.S. or Google for 'Firewood Processors' you will find a whole range of stand alone machines like this one, some of which do use circular blades. Also, some of the feller-buncher machines that take whole trees use the circular blades instead of bars and chains, so it wasn't an outrageous idea (but maybe raising it on a chain saw forum was!)

Philbert

Great tool for those where tree cleariung is a sub activity.

I mean.. I see it as very usefull and not expensive for someone who has activities where the tree clearing is a side nuissance.

Eg someone in land clearing, road construction etc
The bobcat is there. the project price is fixed upfront so how to get the job done as fast as possible.

For pure firewood production i see more benefit in the stand alone processors even if i would have a bobcat to supply it.

About the circulars, my experience is that they are great on seasoned wood but crap in fresh cut wood. So if i had to build one i would go for the chainsaw solution.

Looks like a pretty cool little machine. I wouldn't want to tackle that load of wood in the picture with that machine. You would probably be seasick after a few logs. I have a Multitek and got a super price on it a few years ago. I sell from 350-500 cords per year and it is a real time saver. With the skid steer you would have to have a conveyor and large truck to cut down on the handling. This machine would be handy to use for those jobs where you could just fall, buck and split and then leave.:popcorn:

We signed up to be a dealer and have some on order already depending on options it will range from $24-$26K you will need a skid steer with 16-25 GPM 2500psi and capable of lifting 2500+ lbs.

Scott

Finaly a post we could all agree on.
All-Thumbs-Up.jpg
All-Thumbs-Up.jpg

Back