i may deliver 2cords of red fir in trade for a 064 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
red fir is worth about 200 a cord here. i figure the deal would be worth it. saw is suposed to be in good shape, it looks clean in the pics and is said to have been just tuned up. comes with either a 28 or 36" bar. i think id go for the 36"

i was kinda exscited to see that add on craigls list. i sent email saying ill deliver wood today.

anyways i got some dirt to haul then ill load 2 cords in the dump truck if i hear back from the guy with the 064

been talking to the guy through email.

i sold 2 cords today but didnt trade him or meat him to look at the saw. maybe this deal will fall through the cracks. ohhhhwell. maybe ill tell him 3 cords thats about 600 bucks worth of fire wood

Wow. sweet deal. People here in the east take for granted the large abundance of hardwoods. I would imagine that 2 cord of red fir would only have about 1/4 of the BTU content of 2 cord of oak or locust. Everyone here in the east avoids softwood with the exception of those with outside burners.

load from today. added alot of wood to the stock pile.

alot of work 3-4 cord loaded here all red fir, the good stuff around here

attachment.php

this is the rest of the big tree from last weekend and a few smaller 026 sized trees.

seems like everytime out something happens to the 044. i was buckn the big rounds and the chain deraled and bured up the drive links so i had to finish buckn with the wore out 372. no way to fix the burred drive links on the mtn

Last edited:
no way to fix the burred drive links on the mtn

Raker file.
You're running a spur sprocket on the 044? You should swap to the rim sprocket, much less chance of buggering a chain if you throw one. Plus, you can swap sprockets quick and easy if one wears out or you want to try a different size.

The only way I'll take pine is if I'm getting paid to haul it away, lol.

im right with ya on that one man. i got a couple cord of it on hand. it was part of a big job i did over the winter and the early spring.

its all split now cept for a few random pieces. its only been drying 2-3 months and if i pick up a big split if feels like its friggin styrofoam. i dunno how some guys deal with that crap wood all winter. i mean if its all you can get then it is what it is i guess.

Last edited:
im right with ya on that one man. i got a couple cord of it on hand. it was part of a big job i did over the winter and the early spring.

its all split now cept for a few random pieces. its only been drying 2-3 months and if i pick up a big split if feels like its friggin styrofoam. i dunno how some guys deal with that crap wood all winter. i mean if its all you can get then it is what it is i guess.

Some states were blessed with all hardwoods... We take what the good Lord grows in the forest. :)

it is rim sprocket. easily changeable. i thought it wouldnt be damaged. its the first chain ive thrown since running the 310 a few years ago. maybe the widenose stihl bar is easier to de rail when the chain becomes loose.

even here in our soft wood forest i see people packn pine around on trailers. and i cant under stand it. it is like you said styrofome

I do occasionally use some hemlock to use as kindlin. When you're burning fir does it pop, snap, and throw sparks? Hemlock does

I don't even touch pine, unless it's to move a log out of the way in the woods... I suppose I could use if for campfires, but I use tops under 5'' for that...
Believe me when I say that I have great appreciation for how good the wood is around here- We get more than enough to substantially supplement our oil heat to very little, at least when we're there to burn the stoves.
And my neighbor having his property timbered last year helps, there's as much sugar maple, red oak, and cherry tops as I feel like dragging out of the woods...

Back