finaly found a 064 project.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ive come across quite a few saws and all started as dirt cheap straight gassed saws ranging from 084-066 with lots in between . Because my saws were so inexpensive I got into porting and fabbing custom mufflers. I now only have 3saws a 026 440 and 066 all three are ported with one of a kind mufflers.

Anyways cad has died alittle with me, my dream saw list is now down to the 046-460 and husky 390. The 064 was on this list as luck would have it a straight gassed one found me a quick vac and pressure test and it was obvious she's still tight. A few evenings with muratic acid and the cylinder appears to be low hour.

So I found a stihl piston on eBay. Hmmmm and I couldn't help but round up my carbide burrs and fire up the compressor. I did the basic widen intake and exhaust I also nudged the upper transfers around as well as knocking the lip off the loweres. Piston finally showed got to work blending the transfers smooth from the inside out.

Everything's looking good so on she goes to measure squish. She ended up running gasket less at 150. Was hopn for 180s. So I go through Carb and do the muffler.

So all finished tuned by ear wearing a 32" we head out to the wood. so shes tuned in the wood and feeling good i make a few cuts and all is good untill i decide to pull the bar and chain and toss back on the 066. i gota tell you it was like lightning struck. the 066 literaly tears the 064 a new one literaly like night and day. its holding higher Rs in the wood and just has lots more grunt all around. i did not time it just went off the seat of the pants feel. both saws wearing dual ported radical sounding mufflers.

i have freind thats been wanting a good saw so i get on the phone and tell him the 064 is for sale. hes waiting out the house when i get there i quckly pull it out the truck and tell him to fire it up he struggles to get it running but finaly manages after i tell him to shut the choke off. well he loves the radical idle and race saw sound and was grinning from ear to ear. i let him have it for cheap.

i felt good about the hole deal i got to try an 064 and see what there about. big dry red fir is alot harder cutting then lots of guys think and the 64 just didnt seem to have thegrunt in cut im used to seeing from my 066. i feel the 64 would be more at home wearing a 28" bar. but i feel thats puts it in a pickle because im almost certain my 440 would run faster wearing a 28" i could possibly tear the cyclinder back off and work the upper transfers alittle more and maybe get it to pull more chainspeed in the wood but i just dont have the desire to put that much time into saws right now.

all in all it was great project i had fun i helped a freind out, he nows has a saw that will handle most all wood very well. and was supercheap and better then alot of saws now on the selfes today.

now on to my 390xp and 046 460 the last two saws on my list

sorry guys i didnt take a single photo or video for the project

Last edited:
Holy ####, haven't seen you in a while, hope all's well with you and family, nice project - Sam

Maybe the 064 jump started cad? Just bought a old husky 181 for 20 bucks complete saw minus bar.

Maybe the 064 jump started cad? Just bought a old husky 181 for 20 bucks complete saw minus bar.

If it's in good condition, the 181 might surprise you!:msp_biggrin:

In stock terms, I've found most 066's to be a dog compared to the 064's, but maybe porting makes all the difference......That big dry fir might be the other deciding factor, as I'm usually cutting about 24" and under wood.:confused:

064 and my 066 had similar porting

Here's a few pics of the 181. I'll most likly flip it
IMG_20120731_172740.jpg

IMG_20120731_172845.jpg

IMG_20120731_173449.jpg

IMG_20120731_173032.jpg

Two saws on the right I'm fixing for a guy. There's kinda a steady trickle of saws in and outa here that aren't mine.
IMG_20120731_173243.jpg

Latest posts

Back