I Missed the Tip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ETpilot

ETpilot

ArboristSite Operative
I made this Hookaroon a quite a few years ago. A few days ago I was unloading some rounds off my pickup truck and found the tip was missing. Not sure how or where I lost it. Checked both the pickup and the loading site. Although that tip had been in place for several years, the loss was a result of poor welding.

I tried using the Hookaroon as is but I really missed that tip. So today in a light mist I welded on a new tip. Better welding this time, I hope, LOL So good to have a tip again.

I can pry logs apart, pry rounds apart, pull a particular round, roll rounds, drag round, lift rounds single handed and double handed. What a great tool. I never bend over to reach it. I always know where it is as I stick it in the ground.

AD994C64-C473-4D97-AF66-698C85BE20A1.jpeg

Short timer

Short timer

Wish you'd stop being so good to me captain
I made this Hookaroon a quite a few years ago. A few days ago I was unloading some rounds off my pickup truck and found the tip was missing. Not sure how or where I lost it. Checked both the pickup and the loading site. Although that tip had been in place for several years, the loss was a result of poor welding.

I tried using the Hookaroon as is but I really missed that tip. So today in a light mist I welded on a new tip. Better welding this time, I hope, LOL So good to have a tip again.

I can pry logs apart, pry rounds apart, pull a particular round, roll rounds, drag round, lift rounds single handed and double handed. What a great tool. I never bend over to reach it. I always know where it is as I stick it in the ground.

View attachment 781697
Hookaroons are a greatly underutilized tool. Especially when one is unloading a pickup full of rounds.

This is what I use.

upload_2019-12-21_6-18-29.jpeg

turnkey4099
Hookaroons are a greatly underutilized tool. Especially when one is unloading a pickup full of rounds.

This is what I use.

View attachment 781784

l went with the Logrite 36" one when they first came out. Last tools I would give up would be a hookaroon or the Fiskars X27.

I did make an 8' hookaroon using a plumbing fitting (compression fitting), a closet pole and a 1/2" sharpened bolt for the bit. Haven't had to crawl up in the pickup bed to unload since. I have also added a Stihl shorter hookaroon. It is a knockoff of the logrite but has a far better shaped bit.

Short timer

Short timer

The main use for me will be for picking up logs for loading or splitting. I split everything by hand for the exercise but with a herniated S1, bending constantly just kills me.
Never used the Fiskars, but that length should be perfect. Hookaroons are a back saver and like turnkey said, also saves you from jumping up and down from the pickup bed for those who work out of one like I do.

You will soon realize how you ever did without one.

Short timer

Short timer

I have seen on here one that was like 8' long, maybe they made it. Just for unloading a pickup like you say.
I use a 36 for unloading a pickup. I use it when the rounds closer to the cab are unreachable, I drag them to within reach then just pick them up with both hands.

Latest posts