i need advice on a 1995 f350 chip dump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicmic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im thinking about buying this 1995 f350 diesel chip dump with 96,000 miles on it The guy wants 8,000 for it ,and says its real clean runs good.He said he has all the records of maintenaince showing meticulous upkeap.Ive included some pictures so you can view it,Oh yeah all the side 2,panels on top,2 on the right and 2 on the left come off in case i want to multitask with the truck.The dump is a 18 yard dump. Please give me advice on if this is a fair price for the truck considering I drive it and eveything is in working order.Thanks guys for the help you have given me thus far. Mike

Last edited:
You will be way overloaded w/ that chip box full, never mind trying to haul the chipper also.

I don't know about the price but I wouldn't pay $8K. That may be a good price.

looks like an old modified sawdust dump on a new truck to me they were a little larger than chipper dumps as they never had to leave the yard and also were mounted on a larger chassis

I can easily overload my Dodge 1 ton with a 10 yard chip box. A full load of chips, depending on what we chip, weighs 3800 to 5200 lbs, from the weight slips I have.
If you take an average of 450 lbs a yard, you are looking at 8100 lbs. Serious overload
on a 1 ton truck, but I did haul 13800 lbs. of roofing material with my Dodge once.

With the majority here. The truck will not handle the 18 yards of chips what alone pulling your chipper. Suspension will not take it. Opt for something larger. Look around some more.

That box is too big for a 95 dump. If I am not mistaken that is the non-turbo diesel. They were complete dogs!!! How many hours on the engine?

That truck looks loaded already with all that steel! You may be able to get the truck and modify it if you are handy with a welder. Maybe shorten the box a bit from the back. Sometimes dumps that long will not dump a pile of chips, but a long strip of chips, depending on where the dump hinge is located.

magicmic said:
Im thinking about buying this 1995 f350 diesel chip dump with 96,000 miles on it The guy wants 8,000 for it ,and says its real clean runs good.He said he has all the records of maintenaince showing meticulous upkeap.Ive included some pictures so you can view it,Oh yeah all the side 2,panels on top,2 on the right and 2 on the left come off in case i want to multitask with the truck.The dump is a 18 yard dump. Please give me advice on if this is a fair price for the truck considering I drive it and eveything is in working order.Thanks guys for the help you have given me thus far. Mike

Where is it? I'll Buy it! Take the Chip box off Add a flat bed Dump and pull a Bobcat with it! 5 Speed or Auto? If its a 95 its got a Power stroke. From the Looks of it will need new rear springs.

Koa, I think the accepted average is 550# per cubic foot which makes it that much worse!! (9900#'s!)

Pass on the truck, more hassle than its worth, 18 yards of chips will tax it heavily. The load you would be putting in the bed would weigh more than the truck did empty, I doubt it has the hydraulics to dump that much weight either.

A 14bolt (chevy 1 ton axle) is rated to carry 10k pounds, you would be putting that much on the axle before you added the weight of the truck and the tongue weight of the chipper, way overloaded!

I have went across the scales over 26k pounds in a 3/4 ton and trailer several times, the truck was fine with it but the trailer was complaining to a degree, overloading happens, but every time you use that truck it will be overloaded.

I think the price isa bit high and the box rather big. On the other hand , weight per yard varies a lot-if your chipper makes big chips and shoots a lot of uncut twigs the weight per yard is going to be lower than one that chops everything finely. I know a guy that has a one ton with that size box who hauls firewood with it- He puts 4 cords of hardwood in it and pulls a trailer also! He Is WAY overloaded but the truck hauls it. Spend a little money on upgrading the suspension and that truck should handle a full box of chips. Whether it will be within the legal load rating is another issue.

Even with crappy chips... yikes.

The price is too high, I'll say that.

I know the box on my 1-ton is smaller than that, and even that's over GVW if I fill it.

(I'm presuming that the portion I see just behind the cab and rearwards about 2 feet is a toolbox? Looks that way.)

Hmmm.... looks like a seperate compartment in pic 2. I could be erroneous.

I have been running Ford trucks for quite a few years mainly F-350s after I went to my first F-Superduty (450) which was a 88 which I bought about 5 years ago I will never go back to a regular F-350. I since sold the 88 now have a 89 F-Superduty with IDI power the 88 had a very thirsty 460 gas.

The 88 seen 8000lb loads of gravel on a regular basis carrying 6000lbs was a piece of cake. My F-350s you put 6000lbs on them they were loaded can you stop no and they handled like crap. The only draw back about the F-Superdutys is 2wd I have gotten stuck quite abit some places I won't go. I had the same with the 350 2wds I never tried a locker or something in the diff.

You notice in one of those pictures where the front wheel looks like its leaning inwards well thats from weak or broken coil springs. That twin I beam suspension is crap it wears tires out and handles bad. My F-350s front wheels were always punched way up into the wheel wells with any kind of load.

Oh don't get me started on the pizz poor braking power the F-350s have they can't stop even if you tried. I had to use the gears constantly to try slow the truck down you never followed a person too close. My trucks had brandnew brakes they still stopped like crap its those rotten rear drum brakes and small front disks.

The F-Superduty trucks run 4wheeldisk brakes with hydroboost never had problems with braking power even with 8000lbs on the truck.

To sum it up I wouldn't drive that F-350 with a full box of chips unless you had a reason to cut your life short. It will never stop the truck would be seriously overloaded it would sway all over the road.

F-350 trucks like that should only have a 2 yard box on it like a mason dump something 8-9' long.

I used to haul wood for one of the local sawmills he was amazed what my F-Superduty could haul compared to his 1 ton Chev flatdeck.

If the truck is a 95 it definatly has the PSD which shouldn't be too underpowered its alot better than having a IDI N/A like I have.

Good luck with the truck search if your really looking for a better chip truck try find a F-Superduty or a 3500HD Chev and stay away from the regular 1 tons.

I went to Miami on friday night ,so i could wake up early saturday ,and look at this truck.4 hours of driving on south 75 ,and alligator alley was worth every second of seeing south beach.On sunday morning i call frank to see the truck ,and he says it's in the shop getting a new radiator.200 bucks later i still havent seen it.I dont know what to do ,i need a truck ,and i cant find one.

Back