I need advice /1997 gmc C6500 chip dump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicmic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently went and checked out a 1997 GMC dump truck ,and im thinking about buying it.After Driving the Truck i felt like it had driven well,but i wouldnt know what to look for in the tranny.The speedometer only goes up to 60 miles an hour which i guess is normal.I guess i just need some advice on what i should be checking out on this truck.I listened to the engine ,but of course diesel engines knock so i listened for anything that may make noise besides that.I lifted the dump,drove it ,and made sure alll the guages worked.Another thing about this truck is its an automatic.Im not sure if thats good or not.Any advice is appreciated the guy wants 25,000 for it.

I think that is too much money for an 8 year old single axle truck. Auto trannies have some advantages in operation, but they are much much more expensive to replace or repair and harder to find used. It would be worth your while to locate a mechanic that was familiar with that engine and tranny and pay him to check it out. If they wont let you check it out, walk away.

That sounds like a good truck. I used to drive a 91 GMC Kodiak Line truck with a CAT in it and an Alison auto. I think you wouldnt be unhappy with it! When looking at diesels smeel the oil for antifreeze/gas. and check if there is smoke after they have been warmed up.

Way too much money for that truck though.....unless it comes with a decent chipper too!

How much too much do you think im over paying? Ive been looking for about a month and i cant seem to find too much locally.I was going to have a dump fabricated ,but the cons are i would pay between 12,000 and 15,000 dollars for a truck 5,000 for a chip dump to be fabbricated and thats not even including pintle hitch,tool boxes and time that it would take to get it done.I wouldnt mind paying alittle extra to alleviate some of the hassle and time it takes to do all the fabrication.I do the math and i would have about 20,000 to 22,000 into a truck anyways.Any more advice is appreciated ,mike

I would say anywhere from 8000-13000 for a gas job and 12000-18000 for a good running diesel job with a decent body...maybe more if the body and truck are exceptionally nice.

I would stay away form gas. Go fro diesel less maintenance and they will last much longer. Plus the fuel is cheaper and lasts longer MPG.

The engine sounded real good no smoke after it was warmed up,and all the guages worked fine no overheating.I will check the oil stick for an anti freeze smell though thanks for the advice,i had not done that.Should it smell like regular oil?

how long is that chip box? whats the gvw? the box looks a little big for a 6500. we have 2 6500 with small chip box's basicly mason dumps with chip box's. our 16ft dump is a 7500 series and bucket is of course a 7500.

my feelings is always go with more truck than needed, never less. if it was a 7500 i'd say it's an ok deal but a little high for a 6500.

The chip box is like 16' and the gvw is a litle under cdl,I know im going to overload this truck,but it can handle it.Its been a job just finding this truck,I guess im just anxious to get started

You could get a brand new truck like that from Southco for the low 40's. To pay 15 less for an 8 year old truck with 135 on it is nuts.

magicmic said:
The chip box is like 16' and the gvw is a litle under cdl,I know im going to overload this truck,but it can handle it.Its been a job just finding this truck,I guess im just anxious to get started

I would imagine with all of the hurricane work this year that there are fistfuls of new "tree guys' and that has probably driven up demand for used tree equipment, hence the difficulty finding a truck and the ridiculous price as compared to elsewhere. Maybe hold out a little while longer if it is an option and watch the used stuff glut the market again as these guys go tits-up.

Or maybe not...

Thanks for the advice #11 ,but the problem is i dont have over 40,000 to spend on a truck.25,000 is actually the maximum i have to spend on a truck.Ive searched the net,The big truck Trader and The equipment classifieds.com and this truck is the best piece of equipment for the money.I still want to have the truck checked out by a mechanic to make sure its got no problems.Ill pay for a straght truck ,but if there is something wrong with it then i cant do it.Im kinda nervous because the guy said that he justed changed the oil.That could mean there trying to cover up the smell of antifreeze or gas.

If these guys just changed the oil would i still be able to smell the antifreeze/gas in the oil?If not than what do u think i should do maybe run the truck for awhile and then try to smell it? THanks again for the help.

GICON said:
Ive got a 96 topkick with the Cat 250HP, allison auto. Truck has some serious power. Gets up and goes real fast. I think i have a 37 yard chip box on it. It also has a knuckleboom. Paid over $40K for it. Truck holds a serious amount of chips though, and any of my clowns can get in and push drive. Talk to Timerberland Truck & Equip out of New Jersey. He builds a real nice body and has a lot of topkicks laying around with allison autos....good luck

What pat of MA are yuo from? What company?

Back