PLEASE HELP WITH ADVICE ON 2002 ISUZU NPR HD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jaystihl

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
I am looking at possibly buying a 2002 npr hd dump truck 4 cyclinder diesel. I dont know alot about these trucks and could really use some advice on what to look for. I test drove the truck today and it starts right up with bo leaks on engine or hydraulics . Steering definitely had some play, and could use a brake job. Steel bed has a new floor but still has rust issues on sides that has been painted over recently. The truck reads 115000 miles on it, but feels like it has been driven pretty hard for that many miles. The a/c is also broke.This truck has a crew cab witch is a must for me, and are also very hard to come by in my location and price range. They are asking 16,000 and most of these trucks (although in better condition, but with more miles) are going for 25,000 to 30,000 with a crew cab in my area . I have no idea how well it was taken care of as far as oil changes. Should i buy for 15,000 cash and take the gamble or put the money as a down payment on something more expensive. Thanks for any input

74inchshovel

74inchshovel

ArboristSite Member
Hello, I have had some experience with NPR's. They are solid little trucks, light in the power department though. IMO the weak point is the heavily computerized automatic transmission. I would be most worried about this, be sure and check fluid, make sure it's clear and not burnt. Parts support for my has been excellent, though expensive. With all the issues this one has I would keep looking, does not seem like that great of deal.

jaystihl

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Thanks 74, yea after thinking things through, i decided it was to much of a gamble. After speaking with some people it looks like i need to get a nqr or frr for towing heavier loads. The frr with the 6 cylinder would be great but they dont make a crew cab in frr. Super hard to find something with a crew cab in my price range. Guess ill just have to be patient

Latest posts