Dump trailer and/or flatbed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trailer question:
rim description: 16" x 6" j (eight lug alloy wheels) I also found some rims on line while trying to answer this myself, that are alloy with steel inserts where the lug nuts contact the rim.
What does the (j) indicate on a trailer rim description? Speed rating? Weight rating?
I found something to indicate 62 mph, but that doesn't seem right?
I was told in a company email, trailer manufacturer, the rims are rated 4,060 pounds.
J is the Tire and Rim Association designation for the wheel flange profile. It's the common type for most passenger car wheels now. The intent is that all wheel manufacturers use a standard shape so tires can be common.

As a follow-up, the point person at the place that installs these still hasn't called us back. Check is already made out to purchase the dump insert but they won't give us a quote on the install. Getting frustrated. This place is highly lauded by many people I trust so it appears they have an employee who is missing out on stuff.

I’m still pretty sour that the truck place wouldn’t return calls about buying that dump insert.

We saw a small dump trailer (Maybe a 10’) parked at a gas station recently and my wife really liked it. “You should buy one of those”.
Me: I’d love to but don’t want to spend that much.

We were hauling cedar logs with my friend’s 2wd F150. Literally got stuck on wet grass when the front wheel got into a rut and then the rear tires gummed up with grass and mud. 3 1/2 mile walk home to get my truck and we saw a bear on the way.
steve you should have bought a cheap winch from harbor freight and a portable anchor.

I drove 500 miles home yesterday evening. 16' Diamond C. Telescopic cylinder, 7 ga body, bottom supports on 12" centers. I wanted to be able to load my tractor in it with the grapple or I would have gone shorter.
Nice! Very nice. That's a lot of trailer. Crazy on wait times, or how far you have to drive.

Nice! Very nice. That's a lot of trailer. Crazy on wait times, or how far you have to drive.
We had waited 3 months for a Big Tex at a much closer dealer. The dealer was never given a build date or any timeline for delivery. Spencer gave us a build date, went over available options, updated us when things happened. Also, the same trailer locally was approximately 2K more. Worth the drive at that point.

Shea

View attachment 888180

My choice. Picked it up at Spencer Trailer in Spencer, In. Then I drove 500 miles home yesterday evening. 16' Diamond C. Telescopic cylinder, 7 ga body, bottom supports on 12" centers. I wanted to be able to load my tractor in it with the grapple or I would have gone shorter.

Shea
That's one nice looking trailer. I think you will like that telescopic hoist on that trailer. The bigger dump trucks went that way years ago.

That's one nice looking trailer. I think you will like that telescopic hoist on that trailer. The bigger dump trucks went that way years ago.
The Big Tex didn't have that as an option. When we decided to go in another direction my Dad was adamant about the telescopic cylinder. I wanted the heavier gauge body and supports. So we just ordered it the exact way we wanted it. That cylinder has an extremely high lift.

Shea

I’m inter middle of a similar set up. I have an 84 c30 with an 8’x9’ Omaha standard flatbed. Stake body with 3/16” diamond plate over yellow pine. Doesn’t dump. I pulled the body off once 5 years ago when I made some frame repair. Oak spacers with U bolts. I decide I’m all done unloading brush, mulch, stone with a pitch fork or coal shovel. I found an older EZ dump for $900, and I bought it. Had some rot and the floor is beat but I already cut the rot and patched new 3/16” in and I have another 4x8x3/16 sheet of diamond plate to floor it. So I’m going to be taking the flat bed off again, mounting the dump right to the frame. Others have said “just bolt it on the bed”. Sure that’s easy, but I think it looks terrible and the truck is already dock height, I measured and it’s 58” if I just put it on top. I’m losing space but rarely used the size of that body. It’s on now just to bring in the shop for welding repair 9AA89518-DA0E-4A28-BC33-1A70F6EF9D01.jpeg

Joe25DA I have a buddy that took his flat bed off a 80's ford one ton single wheel and mounted a old EZ dumper on it. It worked out real well. He had the same problem trying to used it on the flat bed the box was too high. Nice looking truck. Years ago I had a 75 Chevy one ton with a 8 by 10 steel rock style dump box on it. It had swing up sides made out of pipe frame and wire mesh. A lawn service had it before me. I bought it with a blown engine and put a rebuilt 454 in it. Was four speed stick. Had a PTO hoist. Sold the truck to a buddy and his kid total the truck out.

Joe25DA I have a buddy that took his flat bed off a 80's ford one ton single wheel and mounted a old EZ dumper on it. It worked out real well. He had the same problem trying to used it on the flat bed the box was too high. Nice looking truck. Years ago I had a 75 Chevy one ton with a 8 by 10 steel rock style dump box on it. It had swing up sides made out of pipe frame and wire mesh. A lawn service had it before me. I bought it with a blown engine and put a rebuilt 454 in it. Was four speed stick. Had a PTO hoist. Sold the truck to a buddy and his kid total the truck out.
I had bought a 79 parts truck. Motor was locked and body was rotted but it had a complete hoist subframe and a pto pump with an SM 465 4spd like mine. Plan was to bolt my flat bed on . I pulled the subframe, hoist and pump. Then the pto and shaft. I rebuilt the ram, cleaned and repaired everything. Then I realized the pto shaft was in the way of my pass side exhaust, then I realized the pump bearings were bad. I wound up selling it. And doubled the money. I kept the 14bolt full float rear too. Only picture I have. I dragged it out with my dads 2500 Chevy for my buddy to load up. And this is a picture he sent yesterday after he pulled the heads.FE75832B-0C41-4A6E-A7E3-C4AF0D14F0C3.jpeg5B98564F-9D4A-4AD0-9054-6FE54C087017.jpeg

Mine had some tricky exhaust on it also to clear the PTO shaft and pump. The truck was factory 350 with single exhaust and a cross over that cleared the shaft and pump. I put duals on the 454 so a exhaust shop did some custom bending to make dual system work. Every once in a while I miss that old truck. Don't even have any truck with a hoist on it around the farm anymore. Went to all dump trailers. They have there issues too.

Back