i need gmc c6500 w chip body 1997

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magicmic

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a Gmc c6500 automatic , diesel cat engine with 12' high chip body I prefer the truck be 8 years or newer with between 100 and 150 thousand miles and within 200 miles of the tampabay florida area

Do people realize that when buying a diesel you hardly EVER look at the miles. Diesels will run for a couple MILLION miles!! Especially Cats and Cummins. Ask how many hours not how many miles. My last truck at the utility I worked for was a 1991 Chevy Kodiak with a CAT. It only had 35,000 miles. Great right? It had almost 95,000 hours on it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The truck was run on all three shifts staright for 13 years till they sold at the end of last year.

Just always look at the hour meter!

Hours are important but good maintenance records are even more you need to know if the truck has been maintained properly. Most medium duty trucks won't go million miles without serious work as the medium duty engines are not designed for that. Trucks with high idle time is bad news, trucks that are owned by larger companies and driven by company drivers is bad news too.

If possible take oil samples from the engine and send them off to a place like Blackstone that will tell you how healthy the engine is.

The lab normally requires a baseline from the engine to be the most accurate, but they have to know how long that oil has been in the motor and other key factors or the results are moot.

Back